Re: [ANN] win32-clipboard 0.1.0

Daniel Berger

11/20/2003 4:12:00 AM

Oops - forgot the link:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/w...

Also available on the RAA.

Regards,

Dan

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion....

13 Answers

Hal E. Fulton

You know what I would use this for? If I ever got around to it? :)

I use a KVM to switch back and forth between Windows and Linux.
I've been thinking of a little drb utility that would cut-and-paste
between them. Should be pretty simple really. (99% of my cut/paste
is simple text.)

Someone once pointed me to a utility to do something similar, but
for some reason it seemed like overkill to me.

Hal

Harry Ohlsen

Hal Fulton wrote:

> You know what I would use this for? If I ever got around to it? :)
>
> I use a KVM to switch back and forth between Windows and Linux.
> I've been thinking of a little drb utility that would cut-and-paste
> between them. Should be pretty simple really. (99% of my cut/paste
> is simple text.)

If you do end up building it, I'll definitely grab a copy. I KVM between Win2000 and Linux all the time at home.

H.

Hal E. Fulton

Harry Ohlsen wrote:
> Hal Fulton wrote:
>
>> You know what I would use this for? If I ever got around to it? :)
>>
>> I use a KVM to switch back and forth between Windows and Linux.
>> I've been thinking of a little drb utility that would cut-and-paste
>> between them. Should be pretty simple really. (99% of my cut/paste
>> is simple text.)
>

> If you do end up building it, I'll definitely grab a copy. I KVM
> between Win2000 and Linux all the time at home.

Well, why don't we knock it out, then? What's your GUI of choice?

Hal

Harry Ohlsen

Hey Hal,

> Well, why don't we knock it out, then? What's your GUI of choice?

Do you mean Linux desktop? I tend to use KDE, but Gnome is also fine.

H.

Harry Ohlsen

> Well, why don't we knock it out, then? What's your GUI of choice?

... or did you mean GUI toolkit? I've played a bit with FX/Ruby.

Hal E. Fulton

Harry Ohlsen wrote:
>> Well, why don't we knock it out, then? What's your GUI of choice?
>

> ... or did you mean GUI toolkit? I've played a bit with FX/Ruby.

Yes, that's what I meant. I'm most familiar with fxruby, but there
are still many parts that won't fit in my brain. And I can never
write an app from scratch without going and looking at an old one
to see how it works.

Suppose you crank out a little text window with a Send button, and
I'll work on the drb part?

I think it's acceptable to make the user hit Send, although it
would be nicer if it just sensed when the text had changed.

I'm not sure how to stick something in the clipboard on the Linux
side, though... for now, might have to re-copy the text when it
appears.

Hal

Zachary P. Landau

> I'm not sure how to stick something in the clipboard on the Linux
> side, though... for now, might have to re-copy the text when it
> appears.

You probably want to check out a program like xclip
(http://people.debian.org/~...). It allows you to put stuff into
the clipboard and take stuff out of the clipboard from the command line.
You can either use this directory, or just read the code to see how it
is done.

--
Zachary P. Landau <kapheine@hypa.net>
GPG: gpg --recv-key 0x24E5AD99 | http://kapheine.hypa.net/ka...

Raphael Bauduin

Zachary P. Landau wrote:
>>I'm not sure how to stick something in the clipboard on the Linux
>>side, though... for now, might have to re-copy the text when it
>>appears.
>

> You probably want to check out a program like xclip
> (http://people.debian.org/~...). It allows you to put stuff into
> the clipboard and take stuff out of the clipboard from the command line.
> You can either use this directory, or just read the code to see how it
> is done.

KDE specific, but as it was mentioned earlier in this thread:
you can use DCOP to interact with the clipboard:

https://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/36/KDE_Scriptin...

There is a perl example in the article, but I think stable ruby bindings are on
their way.

Raph

Eric Hodel

Hal Fulton (hal9000@hypermetrics.com) wrote:

> I'm not sure how to stick something in the clipboard on the Linux
> side, though... for now, might have to re-copy the text when it
> appears.

Just have a clip history of the last N things sent... Much more useful
than just dumping it straight into the clipboard.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://se...
All messages signed with fingerprint:

gabriele renzi

il Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:30:28 +0100, Raphael Bauduin
<raphael.bauduin@be.easynet.net> ha scritto::

>https://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/36/KDE_Scriptin...
>
>There is a perl example in the article, but I think stable ruby bindings are on
>their way.

you can however use kxmlrpcd and script kde via xmlrpc, fairly easy