Ruby and RRDTool

David Douthitt

11/19/2003 4:39:00 PM

Does anyone have a ruby library or whatever that makes it easy to use RRDTool?

I checked the RAA but the link is bad - just one reason I much prefer a software repository (like ibiblio.org) over a "URL link farm" (like freshmeat.net). If the RAA had its own software repository the RRDTool script would still be there, no matter what happened to the original author and software....

David Douthitt
CUNA & Affiliates
UNIX Systems Administrator
LPI Level 1, Linux+
ddouthitt@cuna.coop

6 Answers

Dennis Oelkers

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 01:39:15AM +0900, David Douthitt wrote:
> Does anyone have a ruby library or whatever that makes it easy to use RRDTool?
>
> I checked the RAA but the link is bad - just one reason I much prefer a software repository (like ibiblio.org) over a "URL link farm" (like freshmeat.net). If the RAA had its own software repository the RRDTool script would still be there, no matter what happened to the original author and software....

What about setting up one? :)

Kind regards,
Dennis Oelkers

Tom Copeland

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 12:52, Dennis Oelkers wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 01:39:15AM +0900, David Douthitt wrote:
> > Does anyone have a ruby library or whatever that makes it easy to use RRDTool?
> >
> > I checked the RAA but the link is bad - just one reason I much prefer a software repository (like ibiblio.org) over a "URL link farm" (like freshmeat.net). If the RAA had its own software repository the RRDTool script would still be there, no matter what happened to the original author and software....
>
> What about setting up one? :)

There's always RubyForge:

http://ruby...

Yours,

Tom

James Britt

David Douthitt wrote:
> Does anyone have a ruby library or whatever that makes it easy to use RRDTool?
>
> I checked the RAA but the link is bad - just one reason I much prefer a software repository (like ibiblio.org) over a "URL link farm" (like freshmeat.net). If the RAA had its own software repository the RRDTool script would still be there, no matter what happened to the original author and software....

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I have some of my own
(consider this an informal poll):

What keeps people from putting their stuff in RubyForge?

Is it overkill for LOC < 10 stuff?

Are people self-concious about seems-too-alpha code?

What would be the logistical|moral|technical issues with having a Ruby
code snapshot/time-machine archive, something that would store a copy of
any and all Ruby code so that there would always be a copy of it available?

James

Charles Hixson

James Britt wrote:

> David Douthitt wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a ruby library or whatever that makes it easy to use
>> RRDTool?
>

> I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I have some of my own
> (consider this an informal poll):
>
> What keeps people from putting their stuff in RubyForge?
>
> ...James

I haven't gotten anything appropriate nearly finished. (You did say poll.)

Martin DeMello

James Britt <jamesUNDERBARb@seemyemail.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I have some of my own
> (consider this an informal poll):
>
> What keeps people from putting their stuff in RubyForge?
>
> Is it overkill for LOC < 10 stuff?
>
> Are people self-concious about seems-too-alpha code?

Both of the above :) I've taken to putting small fragments of code on
the wiki instead.

martin

Tom Copeland

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 19:50, James Britt wrote:
> David Douthitt wrote:
> > Does anyone have a ruby library or whatever that makes it easy to use RRDTool?
> >
> > I checked the RAA but the link is bad - just one reason I much prefer a software repository (like ibiblio.org) over a "URL link farm" (like freshmeat.net). If the RAA had its own software repository the RRDTool script would still be there, no matter what happened to the original author and software....
>
> I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I have some of my own
> (consider this an informal poll):
>
> What keeps people from putting their stuff in RubyForge?
>
> Is it overkill for LOC < 10 stuff?
>
> Are people self-concious about seems-too-alpha code?
>
> What would be the logistical|moral|technical issues with having a Ruby
> code snapshot/time-machine archive, something that would store a copy of
> any and all Ruby code so that there would always be a copy of it available?

Currently this wouldn't be too difficult:

[root@rubyforge cvs]# du -skH /var/cvs
72MB /var/cvs
[root@rubyforge cvs]#

And that's before compression. We could burn a CD of it no problem...

Yours,

tom