Re: BCC32 under win environment

Zach Dennis

11/17/2003 3:17:00 PM

Mark,

You use 4d to? I didn't think there were any other Ruby'ers out there who
used it! Maybe we shall have to write some 4D-extensions for Ruby. =)

Zach

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Smith [mailto:spam@fakeaddress.net]
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2003 9:07 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: BCC32 under win environment

Zach Dennis wrote:

> Has anyone compiled ruby with bcc32 under a windows environment(
preferably
> win2000 ) successfully?
>
> I'm having troubles.

Zach,

I compiled it with no trouble by following the steps in readme.bcc32 in
the bcc32 folder--both under Win2K and WinXP. Start a console. Be sure
you are in the "Ruby-1.8.1" directory. Then, set your path to include
both bin & the lib of bcc
(path=%path%;c:\borland\bcc55\bin;c:\borland\bcc55\bib) and just follow
the remaining steps.

It worked, and I was able to run basic Ruby programs successfully.
However, what keeps me using Andy's Win32 install is all the little
extras! Even though I can compile with bcc, I have no clue how to
compile all the great *.so file (like Oracle) that make Ruby such a
valuable tool for me.

Also, there's a unique item with bcc32. When you read a file, you must
be sure to include the binary flag "b" or you'll have trouble with
stripping characters--IIRC, lone CR's in mac files on my Win box.

(Now, if I only had a 4D plug-in to run Ruby in that environment!)

--
Regards,

Mark Smith
maslists [at] cox [dot] net