[OT] distro independent program installed?

T. Onoma

11/16/2003 7:40:00 PM

hi all, i'm working on a distro-independent source based package management system written in ruby and i'm stummped on one thing.

is there a general, distro-independent way to tell if a package has been installed? i want to be able to support any distro regardless of FHS.

thanks,
-t0

1 Answer

gabriele renzi

il Mon, 17 Nov 2003 04:39:48 +0900, "T. Onoma" <transami@runbox.com>
ha scritto::

>hi all, i'm working on a distro-independent source based package management system written in ruby and i'm stummped on one thing.
>
>is there a general, distro-independent way to tell if a package has been installed? i want to be able to support any distro regardless of FHS.

I think it does'nt. Possibly you may choose to write a SystemType
interface and various back-end for the various systems.. or just go
with 'which', 'locate', 'find' and so on ..