Re: Microsoft's C/C++ compiler freely available

Zach Dennis

11/15/2003 8:29:00 AM

GCC on a win32 platform?

Zach

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Carrera [mailto:dcarrera@math.umd.edu]
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2003 3:26 AM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: Microsoft's C/C++ compiler freely available

Question:
Why would you want to use Microsoft's C/C++ compiler when gcc is
available? No sarcasm. This is an honest question.

* I saw a benchmark of compilers in which gcc and MS shared the second
place (1st was Intel):

http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmar...

(see the update for Sep 10/02)
This is impressive considering that Intel and MS only cater to one
hardware platform, whereas gcc caters to many.

* Given the above, wouldn't it make sense to use a compiler that isn't
tied to one particular hardware? Especially if you plan on using more
than one hardware.

Cheers,
Daniel.

--
Daniel Carrera | Aleph-0 bottles of beer on the wall, Aleph-0 bottles
PhD student. | of beer. Take one down, pass it around, Aleph-0

2 Answers

Daniel Carrera

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 05:28:32PM +0900, Zach Dennis wrote:
> GCC on a win32 platform?
>
> Zach

Yes.

http://www....

MinGW's port of gcc is what the author tested in his benchmarks. It tends
to be a little behind the GNU port of gcc, but not much (I don't think).

Cheers,
Daniel.

Gour

Daniel Carrera (dcarrera@math.umd.edu) wrote:

> http://www....
>
> MinGW's port of gcc is what the author tested in his benchmarks. It tends
> to be a little behind the GNU port of gcc, but not much (I don't think).

And with MSYS you get practically the same comfort as on Linux i.e.
configure; make ; make install :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

--