Sending keystrokes to GUI applications

Ron Coutts

11/11/2003 5:15:00 PM

I'm trying to automate a Windows GUI application that has no command
line interface and no OLE Automation interface. I only need to send a
few keystrokes to this application. I thought Ruby would be great for
this job but I've searched extensively and can't find any information on
how to do it. Below is an example in Java of what I'd like to do
(Notepad is not the application I'm trying to automate).

Can anyone provide any suggestions or code snippets showing how to send
keystrokes to a Windows GUI application. Any help would be much
appreciated.

Regards,
Ron

import java.awt.AWTException;
import java.awt.Robot;
import java.awt.event.KeyEvent;
import java.io.IOException;

public class Automate {
try {
Runtime.getRuntime().exec( "notepad.exe");
Robot robot = new Robot();
robot.keyPress(KeyEvent.VK_A);
} catch (IOException e) {
// TODO Auto-generated catch block