Douglas R. Heeren

4/6/2002 3:37:00 PM

I am using ODBC.NET to access a Synergex xfODBC datasource, and randomly
receive the following error on a DataReader.Read statement.
ERROR [HY000] [TOD][ODBC][Unknown]Network connection lost (recv): errno:
10004
After this error I can not connect to the xfODBC datasource again in any
browser session for .NET, and receive the following error on a
connetcion.open statement

ERROR [S1000] [TOD][ODBC Driver][Genesis:DBADMIN//sdms:]Data Source name is
missing ERROR [IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's
SQLSetConnectAttr failed ERROR [01000] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The
driver doesn't support the version of ODBC behavior that the application
requested (see SQLSetEnvAttr).

I have checked permissions on the ODBC.INI registry key, the ASPNET account
has read permissions. I am creating all objects in a subroutine, and closing
them within the same subroutine. If I kill off the aspnet_wp.exe process
then everything works.

ASP continues to work while ASP.NET is not functioning. I was noticing some
posts that said ODBC for DB2 was experiencing the same issues.

Thank you in advance,

Douglas R. Heeren
dough@annettholdings.com
Annett Holdings, Inc.
6115 SW Leland Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50306

2 Answers

Roger

Error 10004 is WSAEINTR. This indicates that some function
in .net probably did a WSACancelBlockingCall - which is
now unuspported - on a socket they did not own. Perhaps
there is a page timer that fired because the request of
the datasource took longer that expected. The Synergex
driver - based on the Trifox driver uses send() and recv()
at the standard C sockets layer for client/server
communication. I would recommend using a local datasource
rather than a client server datasource to help isolate the
real problem. (using genesis: not net:). Once the error
has occured, the key is that the connect
string "genesis:DBADMIN//sdms:" is used. This normally
indicates that the connect information has been lost (ie
the datasource name) and the default has been used by the
driver.

I would expect these problems are a result of failure of
the ODBC.net to execute finalizers - a common problem in
the garbage collector's design - and therefore resource
are not being freed. Usually designers of software that
uses extensive resources such as database drivers are
recommended to use the dispose interface manually to free
resources. Microsoft documents this as a problem in the
CLR especially with multi threaded servers such as web
servers and says that the current CLR design has only one
finalizer thread - which must wait for all finalizer
objects to be in a static state before it can run.

Terry Jones

I have seen the same intermittent Network connection lost error. It also
occurs in the previous version of ASP. I haven't seen it yet in ASP.NET.

Terry N. Jones