GenriX

5/10/2005 1:51:00 PM

oAAO

wbr, GX
9 Answers

Malkin S.A.

GenriX wrote:
> oAAO
>
> wbr, GX
?I?OIO: EAEIA EIAIII?
?IAOEAUEA: http://jug.in.ntu-k...
?OIOAN ?IAOEAUEA: ?EOAOO.
--
iU AAIAAI, OI, ?OI ?U IOEAAAOA.

Gerry

On 2010-01-13 15:44:40 -0800, tom walls <tomwalls@gmail.com> said:

> On Jan 13, 4:49?pm, Max <hepkatreetaroo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Send money instead, it's much more useful. Doctors Without ?Borders,
>> Mercy Corp, Red Cross, it doesn't matter. Prayers are cheap, money
>> works.
>
> Spoken like a true idiot.

Some habits are hard to break.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Gerry

On 2010-01-13 15:50:52 -0800, Max <hepkatreetaroonie@gmail.com> said:

> On Jan 13, 3:44?pm, tom walls <tomwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 13, 4:49?pm, Max <hepkatreetaroo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Send money instead, it's much more useful. Doctors Without ?Borders,
>>> Mercy Corp, Red Cross, it doesn't matter. Prayers are cheap, money
>>> works.
>>
>> Spoken like a true idiot.
>
> GFY. Prayer never helped anyone. Money buys shovels. Religious
> fanatics pls feel free to huff and puff. Then send money.

It's not just religious "fanatics" that feel the need to pray when
people, or in this case millions of people, are in trouble. It's a
basic working modality for many millions of people of faith, and across
many religions. Taking this opportunity to poke such people in the eye
is exactly they kind of misanthropic reaction I'd expect from you.

You really are a dipshit and impossible to share space with for more
than a few minutes. So now MaxAnAssholeAroonie gets popped into the
cage with all the rest of your dopey logons.

I don't think I've ever used the clich? before, but for you it is truly
apt: Get a life--borrow one if necessary.

On 2010-01-13 18:48:52 -0800, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> said:

> In article
> <8b09be0c-bd71-414c-a999-0450cb7c4dad@l30g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
> tom walls <tomwalls@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 13, 4:49?pm, Max <hepkatreetaroo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Send money instead, it's much more useful. Doctors Without
>>> ?Borders, Mercy Corp, Red Cross, it doesn't matter. Prayers are
>>> cheap, money works.
>>
>> Spoken like a true idiot.
>
> For what reason?

Because our sadness, concern and despair at this kind of human misery
isn't simply a financial problem to be solved.

> The results of prayers are pretty much undefinable, even if you believe
> in their power.

Frequently such activity is more about the witnesses.

> The results of money are concrete and visible.

And the results of monetary contribution are rarely predictable. Check
out the money that was sent to Nicaragua after their earthquake under
Somoza.

In Haiti, many thousands of people are already dead, and likely many
hundreds are still dying while I type this. A trillion dollars, cash
in the bag, won't change that. Of course the others remain on the
precipice and their needs are real. But I don't think anybody said,
"Don't send cash--prayers only." Did they?
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Tim McNamara

In article <2010011322231350073-somewhere@sunnycalif>,
Gerry <somewhere@sunny.calif> wrote:

> On 2010-01-13 18:48:52 -0800, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
> said:
>
> > In article
> > <8b09be0c-bd71-414c-a999-0450cb7c4dad@l30g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
> > tom walls <tomwalls@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Spoken like a true idiot.
> >
> > For what reason?
>
> Because our sadness, concern and despair at this kind of human misery
> isn't simply a financial problem to be solved.

An awful lot of human misery is exactly and simply that.

--
"I wear the cheese, it does not wear me."

Great White Buffalo

On Jan 14, 1:13 am, Gerry <somewh...@sunny.calif> wrote:
> On 2010-01-13 15:50:52 -0800, Max <hepkatreetaroo...@gmail.com> said:

> >> Spoken like a true idiot.
>
> > GFY. Prayer never helped anyone. Money buys shovels. Religious
> > fanatics pls feel free to huff and puff. Then send money.
>
> It's not just religious "fanatics" that feel the need to pray when
> people, or in this case millions of people, are in trouble.  It's a
> basic working modality for many millions of people of faith, and across
> many religions. Taking this opportunity to poke such people in the eye
> is exactly they kind of misanthropic reaction I'd expect from you.
>
> You really are a dipshit and impossible to share space with for more
> than a few minutes.  So now MaxAnAssholeAroonie gets popped into the
> cage with all the rest of your dopey logons.
>
> I don't think I've ever used the cliché before, but for you it is truly
> apt: Get a life--borrow one if necessary.

Well said, Gerry - and from the middle and with inclusiveness, too!

On 2010-01-15 19:36:46 -0800, RickH <passport@windcrestsoftware.com> said:

> These countries dont think twice about shelling out literally hundreds
> of billions to bail out the asses of their banks and investment houses
> and their own pensions.

Yeah! They have extraordinary obsession with their own survival. Go figure...
--

<4eacffa6-1843-4291-bf7f-84c3c037a85f@a15g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
Great White Buffalo <bandsite@cox.net> wrote:

> On Jan 13, 6:50?pm, Max <hepkatreetaroo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Spoken like a true idiot.
> >
> > GFY. Prayer never helped anyone. Money buys shovels. Religious
> > fanatics pls feel free to huff and puff. Then send money.
>
> It's the people who do pray, who believe in something bigger than
> themselves, who feel a social responsibility to others because of the
> human dust-to-dust experience we share who contribute largely.

Dude, that's just a rank generalization that has little or nothing to do
with reality. There are plenty of selfish religious people and plenty
of selfless atheists. And vice versa. Most people fall somewhere in
between, of course.

> To wit: the US Government on behalf of its 300 million citizens has
> pledged $100M in relief to Haiti. An infinitely smaller organization,
> Catholic Relief Services, has pledged $25M. And those lousy bums in
> the UN? A paltry $6M.

Those lousy bums at the UN mostly come from countries that are
constitutionally religious- e.g., they have a state religion. The US is
one of the relatively few countries that does not have a state religion-
religious freedom being one of the reasons the US exists.

On 2010-01-16 09:35:47 -0800, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> said:

>> It's the people who do pray, who believe in something bigger than
>> themselves, who feel a social responsibility to others because of the
>> human dust-to-dust experience we share who contribute largely.
>
> Dude, that's just a rank generalization that has little or nothing to do
> with reality. There are plenty of selfish religious people and plenty
> of selfless atheists.

Here here!

> And vice versa. Most people fall somewhere in
> between, of course.
>
>> To wit: the US Government on behalf of its 300 million citizens has
>> pledged $100M in relief to Haiti. An infinitely smaller organization,
>> Catholic Relief Services, has pledged $25M. And those lousy bums in
>> the UN? A paltry $6M.

And now the overall budget numbers of those three entities for comparison?

> Those lousy bums at the UN mostly come from countries that are
> constitutionally religious- e.g., they have a state religion. The US is
> one of the relatively few countries that does not have a state religion-
> religious freedom being one of the reasons the US exists.

At least that's the what we recite about our America, God bless it!
Someone pointed out that any admitted atheist running for office will
get roughtly the same number of votes as an admitted crack-addicted
prostititue. Though the later may get more "contributions to the
campaign".

So you're free to proclaim your atheism, but you may get overlooked for
opportunities like employment and stuff.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.