ntu-kpi.comp.programming

ÎÁÒÅÚËÁ ÓÁÊÔÏ×

flower

4/27/2005 10:36:00 PM

ïÞÅÎØ ÍÎÏÇÏ ÐÒÉÈÏÄÉÌÏÓØ ÓÌÙÛÁÔØ Ï "îáòåúëå óáêôï÷".
þÔÏ ÉÍÅÅÔÓÑ × ×ÉÄÕ ÐÏÄ üôïê æòáúïê?
ó ÐÏÍÏÝØÀ ËÁËÏÊ ÐÒÏÇÒÁÍÍÙ ÏÓÕÝÅÓÔ×ÌÑÅÔÓÑ ÄÁÎÎÙÅ ÄÅÊÓÔ×ÉÑ?
óÐÁÓÉÂÏ ×ÓÅÍ ÏÔ×ÅÔÉ×ÛÉÍ!!!

8 Answers

Traut

flower ?EUAO:
> i?AIO IIICI ?OEEIAEIIOO OIUUAOO I "iaoauea oaeoi÷".
> ?OI EIAAOON ? ?EAO ?IA uoie ?oauie?
> o ?IIIYOA EAEIE ?OICOAIIU IOOYAOO?INAOON AAIIUA AAEOO?EN?
> o?AOEAI ?OAI IO?AOE?UEI!!!

OEAOAI OAE - OEIOAA IA "IAOAUEA OAEOI?", A IAOAUEA AEUAIAOOEEE UAAIIII?.
AEUAEIAO OEOOAO OOOAIEAO ? psd (AOIE IA ?I?AUAO - ? jpeg/gif/bmp), A
?AOOOAIOYEE OAOAO UOO EAOOEIEO E ?AOOOAAO ?I IAE UAAIII.

EIE N IA ?OA? E UOA IAOAUEA - IAOAUEA IA OOOOEOOOIUA UAAIIIU? :-)

--
Best regards,
Polzunov Sergei

Alexander

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:14:20 +0000 (UTC), Polzunov Sergei
<traut@viii.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua> wrote:

> OEAOAI OAE - OEIOAA IA "IAOAUEA OAEOI?", A IAOAUEA AEUAIAOOEEE UAAIIII?.
> AEUAEIAO OEOOAO OOOAIEAO ? psd (AOIE IA ?I?AUAO - ? jpeg/gif/bmp), A
> ?AOOOAIOYEE OAOAO UOO EAOOEIEO E ?AOOOAAO ?I IAE UAAIII.
> EIE N IA ?OA? E UOA IAOAUEA - IAOAUEA IA OOOOEOOOIUA UAAIIIU? :-)
oEIOAA ?OACI OAEE IAOAUEA EAOOEIIE.
aOOO IAOEOI?AIIAN EAOOEIEA-HTML OOOAIE?EA, A UAAA?A ?AOOOAIOYEEA
?IOAUAOO AA IA IOOIUA ?AOOE (OE?A EII?EE E O.?.).

--
With best regards
xdeveloper@yandex.ru

Malkin S.A.

flower wrote:
> i?AIO IIICI ?OEEIAEIIOO OIUUAOO I "iaoauea oaeoi÷".

oEIOAA OAEE "?IOAUEA" OAEOI?.
iAOAUAAO UAAIIIU :)

> ?OI EIAAOON ? ?EAO ?IA uoie ?oauie?

aOIE ?OI ?IOAUEO - OI OAAA AAAO IAEAO OAEOA ? psd EAE ?OA?EII 800 IA 600
E OAOOEAUU?AAO EAAA OAEOA( ?OI CAA ONIAOOON, ?OI IA ONIAOOON). uAAA?A
?AA-?AOOOAIOYEEA-OAAIEUI?AOO AEUAEIAOOEOA UAAOIEO - ?IO UOI E IAUU?AAOO
?IOAUEIE

> o ?IIIYOA EAEIE ?OICOAIIU IOOYAOO?INAOON AAIIUA AAEOO?EN?
> o?AOEAI ?OAI IO?AOE?UEI!!!

n IE?II OAUOAUAA IAEAO ? Photoshop, A EIA OOA ?EUO ? Notepad++.

--
iU AAIAAI, OI, ?OI ?U IOEAAAOA.

msb

Once again, I wrote:
| As usual, for each of the items above, your objective is to give a
| response that (1) is correct, and (2) will be duplicated by as FEW
| other people as possible. Feel free to use any reference material...

There were only 25 entrants this time, but one of them is a
first-time winner. Hearty congratulations to NATE PAYMER! And he
won despite having a wrong answer, too. Impressive. In second
place was Lejonel Norling, and just behind him in third, John Gerson.

These are their slates of answers (some abbreviated). As always, you
should be reading this in a monospaced font for proper tabular alignment.

NATE PAYMER LEJONEL NORLING JOHN GERSON
[0] (wrong answer) Eyewall Willywilly
[1] Salmon Khaki Perse
[2] R.M. La Follette Lucas Cranach John Wood
[3] "Duel" "Greed" "Red or Black?"
[4] Volleyball Curling Curling
[5] Boat lift bin Balloon basket (wrong answer)
[6] Marshall Is. Croatia Nepal
[7] Rhode I. Maine Massachusetts
[8] Fork Water Run
[9] "Peter's Got Woods" "Ola & Julia" "Messalina&Son/Hercules"

| Please do not quote the questions back to me, and do send only
| plain text in ASCII or ISO 8859-1: no HTML, attachments, Micros--t
| character sets, etc., and no Unicode, please. (Entrants who fail
| to comply will be publicly chastised in the results posting.)

Joshua Kreitzer, the entrant identified as "Duke Lefty", Nate Paymer,
Andrew Bull, and the entrant identified as "Calvin" (listed in random
order), you are all CHASTISED! Next time (if there is one) please
COMPLY, or you will be CHASTISED AGAIN!

To review the scoring:

| Low score wins; a perfect score is 1.
|
| If your answer on a category is correct, then your score is the number
| of people who gave that answer or an answer I consider equivalent. If
| wrong, or if you skip the question, you get a high score as a penalty.
| The scores on the different questions are *multiplied* to produce a
| final score. ... It is also possible that I may consider one answer
| to be a more specific variant of another: in that case it will be
| scored as if they are different, but the other, less specific variant
| will be scored as if they are the same.

"More specific" scoring did not arise on this contest. For the penalty
score formula, see the questions posting.

Here is the complete table of scores.

RANK SCORE ENTRANT Q0 Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9

1. 288 Nate Paymer WR 1 1 2 6 1 2 1 1 1
2. 1080 Lejonel Norling 1 1 1 5 4 9 1 6 1 1
3. 1152 John Gerson 1 1 1 1 4 WR 4 2 2 1
4. 2160 Stephen Perry 3 1 1 1 3 6 1 5 2 4
5. 5184 James Dow Allen 3 1 1 4 3 6 1 6 2 2
6. 7776 Rob Parker 6 4 1 2 3 9 1 2 3 1
7. 8640 Don Del Grande 2 1 2 1 6 3 4 6 5 1
8. 15360 Lieven Marchand 1 2 1 1 4 4 4 6 5 4
9. 19200 Alan Curry 3 2 1 2 4 4 1 5 5 4
10. 25920 Peter Smyth 6 1 1 1 WR WR 4 5 1 1
11. 32400 Dave Filpus 3 2 2 5 3 6 2 5 1 3
12. 57600 Erland Sommarskog 2 3 2 WR 6 4 4 5 1 1
13. 92160 Nick Selwyn WR 1 4 4 2 3 2 5 1 WR
14. 103680 Joshua Kreitzer WR 3 1 4 6 6 4 5 1 1
15. 144000 Dan Unger 3 1 2 5 WR 4 2 5 WR 1
16. 155520 Andrew Bull 6 4 1 3 6 9 4 5 2 1
17. 207360 Dan Tilque WR 1 2 2 WR 9 WR 5 1 1
Bruce Bowler 3 1 1 1 WR 9 WR 6 5 WR
Chris F.A. Johnson 6 4 2 WR 1 6 WR 5 2 3
Haran Pilpel WR 1 4 4 WR 6 4 5 3 1
Mike Jones WR 3 4 3 WR 9 4 5 1 1
Nick Atty 1 4 4 3 WR 3 WR 6 3 4
Duke Lefty 6 WR WR 5 3 9 4 5 1 1
Calvin 6 2 2 WR 2 9 4 5 WR 3
Peter Chapman WR WR 2 5 WR 9 4 WR 5 2

Scores of 500,000 or worse are not shown.

And here is the complete list of answers given. Each list shows correct
answers in the order worst to best (most to least popular).

| 0. Give a single word used in English, either in meteorological or
| informal use, to mean a storm (or a part of it) characterized
| by a more or less circular pattern of intense winds.

6 Cyclone
3 Twister
3 Waterspout (see below)
2 Typhoon
1 Eyewall
1 Hurricane
1 Tornado
1 Willywilly
WRONG:
3 Mesocyclone (need not be intense)
2 Whirlwind (need not be intense)
1 Anticyclone (not a storm)
1 Cockeyed Bob (2 words, and need not be intense and circular)

In current official terminology in North America, the two
most important types of storm that provide correct answers are
the hurricane and the tornado. Neither word was given much.
"Cyclone" is a term for hurricanes in part of the world and also an
old-fashioned word for tornadoes in the US -- both senses distinct
from its technical meaning in meteorology, where it's simply a
low-pressure area -- and it was the most popular answer.

"Twister" is another word for a tornado, while "typhoon" and
"willywilly" are other words for a hurricane (the latter somewhat
old-fashioned, I believe).

A waterspout is generally described as a tornado over water, but
some sources indicate that their winds may be substantially less
intense than those of ordinary tornadoes. Apparently they are
often of a force comparable to the milder sort of tornado, though,
so I decided I should accept this answer. I did not, however, accept
"whirlwind", which can include a quite minor phenomenon; and I would
have rejected "cockeyed Bob", which was defined somewhat differently
on different sites I looked at but doesn't seem to necessarily meet
the description, even if it hadn't had to be a single word.

As to the other wrong answer, an anticyclone is a high-pressure area,
associated with good weather. And a mesocyclone is a rotating
wind pattern that forms in some thunderstorms and *may* develop
into a tornado; I looked at many sources and found nothing to say
that the mesocyclone itself must involve intense winds.

Finally, there is one more correct answer. I said "or a part of it"
because I wanted the tornado to be a correct answer, but it's really
just a particularly intense part within a larger storm. And this
wording meant that the "eyewall", the part of a hurricane where the
winds are most intense, was also a correct answer; and it scored a 1.

| 1. The word "color" has two related meanings. A spectral color
| is one that can be produced by a light shining with a single
| wavelength as seen in dark surroundings, such as red or green.
| In terms of spectral colors, the yellow seen on a typical
| TV or computer display is not a single color but a mixture
| of two colors, red and green. But in everyday usage "color"
| is a broader word and that yellow would be considered a color.
| (Of course, yellow can also be a spectral color.)
|
| Using a single word in English, name a *non-spectral color* --
| that is, name something we call a color but which cannot be
| produced by a light shining with a single wavelength as seen
| in dark surroundings.

4 Brown
3 Gray [= Grey]
2 Pink
2 Silver
1 Beige
1 Black
1 Khaki
1 Maroon
1 Ochre
1 Olive
1 Peach
1 Perse
1 Plum
1 Rose
1 Salmon
1 White
WRONG:
1 Bright pink (2 words)
1 Phlox (not defined as a color in dictionaries)

Besides white, gray, and black, the other correct answers generally
included anything that could be described as a light or dark shade of
another color: pink is light red and therefore requires a mixture of
wavelengths, while brown is dark red and therefore can only be seen
against a lighter contrasting color. For the answers given that were
not basic colors, like khaki and salmon, I checked dictionaries to
confirm that they were defined as colors and described in a manner
that meant they could not be spectral colors.

All the correct answers among basic colors were given, with the
more medium colors of brown and gray most popular while black was
named only once. But I imagine there are quite a few more of the
more obscure colors like perse that were not named.

| 2. Name a famous father and son who (1) are no longer living,
| (2) were not monarchs, and (3) are typically known today by the
| *same name* except for an appended distinguishing term *for each
| of them*, such as "senior" for one and "junior" for the other.
|
| Fame is to be determined by Google counts. A simple Google
| search for each name *as a phrase, including the distinguishing
| term*, must return at least "about" 32,767 hits. In your answer
| you must provide the two names in the exact way that you searched
| for them, but different ways of referring to the same two people
| will be taken as equivalent answers.

4 William Pitt the Elder/Younger (English politicians, 1708-78,
1759-1806)
2 Alexandre Dumas p?re/fils (French writers, 1802-70, 1824-95)
2 Johann Strauss I/II (Austrian composers, 1804-49, 1825-99)
2 John D. Rockefeller Jr./III (American
businessmen-philanthropists, 1874-1960, 1906-78)
2 Martin Luther King Sr./Jr. (American clergymen-activists,
1899-1984, 1929-68)
1 Hans Holbein the Elder/Younger (German artists, c.1460-1524,
c.1497-1543)
1 James McKay Sr./Jr. (Scottish-American politicians, 1808-76,
1842-1925)
1 Jason Robards Sr./Jr. (American actors, 1892-1963, 1922-2000)
1 John Wood the Elder/Younger (English architects, 1704-54,
1728-82)
1 Lucas Cranach d. ?./J. (German artists, c.1472-1553, 1515-86)
1 Nawab of Pataudi Sr./Jr. (Indian cricket players, 1910-52,
1941-2011)
1 Pieter Brueghel the Elder/Younger (Flemish painters, c.1525-69,
c.1565-1636)
1 Pliny the Elder/Younger (Roman naturalist, 23-79; Roman lawyer,
61-c.112) (see below)
1 Richard Evelyn Byrd Sr./Jr. (American politician, 1860-1925;
American explorer, 1888-1957)
1 Robert M. La Follette Sr./Jr. (American politicians, 1855-1925,
1895-1953)
1 Sammy Davis Sr./Jr. (American entertainers, 1900-88, 1925-90)
1 Tom Morris Sr./Jr. (Scottish golfers, 1821-1908, 1851-75)
WRONG:
1 Efrem Zimbalist Sr./Jr. (Russian-American musician,
c.1890-1985; American actor, 1918-)

Answers here were well divided, except for a collision on the pair
who were British prime ministers.

Requirement 2 was in the question, of course, because examples
of this type are so common -- the six kings named George in the
British monarchy would provide three answers all by themselves
(George I/II, III/IV, and V/VI). One correct answer, the Nawabs
of Pataudi, did refer to a hereditary title but not to a monarchy.

Requirement 1 was included simply to cut down on the number of
correct answers; one entrant fell afoul of it, naming an 94-year-old
retired actor.

The Rockefeller family has so far produced six generations of males
with the same name -- John D. Rockefeller I/Jr./III/IV/V/VI -- all
famous except for the 5-year-old VI, and therefore providing four
different possible correct answers. However, the two entrants who
decided to mine this rich field collided on the same answer, Jr./III.

| 3. Name a TV game show, reality show, or similar competition
| (televised lottery drawings do not qualify) on which at least
| one individual has won a money prize or prizes totaling at
| least $1,000,000 US. This refers to the announced value of the
| winnings, even if it was actually the total value of an annuity,
| or if taxes were withheld, etc.
|
| Any different versions of the same show, whether existing in
| different countries or as spinoffs or successors or whatever,
| count as the same answer.

5 "Greed" (Curtis Warren, $1,410,000)
4 "Twenty One" (David Legler, $1,765,000)
3 "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" (Kevin Olmstead, $2,180,000)
2 "Duel" (Ashlee Register, $1,795,000)
2 "Survivor: Pearl Islands" (Sandra Diaz-Twine, $1,000,000)
1 "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?" (George Smoot, $1,000,000)
1 "Jeopardy!" (Brad Rutter, $3,470,102)
1 "Pepsi Play for a Billion" (Richard Bay, $1,000,000) (see below)
1 "Pillsbury Bake-Off" (Kurt Wait, $1,000,000)
1 "Poker Face" (Dominic Jackson, ?1,000,000)
1 "Red or Black?" (Kevin Cartwright, ?1,000,000) (see below)
WRONG:
1 "Big Brother" (no winners of enough money)
1 "The $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime" (no individual
contestants)
1 (no answer)

All winnings that provided correct answers were either in US
dollars or UK pounds and are shown above accordingly using $
or ?. The winners listed are not necessarily the highest-winning
contestants from each show, just examples to show that the answers
are correct. In some cases I had to rely on Wikipedia for details.

It seems somehow appropriate that the show that drew the biggest
collision of entrants was "Greed".

It was also interesting, considering the many different titles
used by different versions of "Survivor", that the two entrants who
named that show both picked the same one. This made no difference
to the scoring, of course, since the question specified that any
of them would have counted as the same answer.

"Pepsi Play for a Billion" and "Red or Black?" each had elements
resembling a lottery draw, but they had game elements as well
(such as deciding whether to accept a guaranteed amount in order
to withdraw from the competition), so I decided they qualified as
correct answers.

On the other hand, "The $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime" was played
by couples, not individuals. Ony one member of each couple played
at a time, but they both played during the game and shared the
winnings. This refers to the American show of that title, which
is what the entrant had in mind; there was also an Australian game
show with the same or a similar title, but I could find very little
about it and as far as I could tell the top prize was never won
(and therefore it's moot whether the Australian or US dollar was
worth more at the time). So, wrong answer.

| 4. Name a past or present Olympic sport meeting the following
| criteria. (1) It is always played by teams rather than
| individuals. (2) The outcome is based on some objective
| determination, as opposed to scores assigned by judges as is
| done in gymnastics or diving. (This refers to the intent;
| human referees are allowed to be involved.) And (3) the end
| of the competition is *not* normally determined by a clock.

6 Volleyball [= Indoor volleyball]
>>> 1 [WRONG] Men's volleyball
4 Curling
3 Beach volleyball
>>> 1 [WRONG] Women's beach volleyball
3 Tug-of-war (last played 1920)
2 Cricket (last played 1900)
1 Softball (last played 2008)
WRONG:
1 4?400 m relay (event, not sport)
1 Finnish baseball (not an Olympic sport)
1 Men's volleyball (event, not sport)
1 Rugby (last played 1924) (timed game)
1 Swimming medley relay (event, not sport)
1 Synchronized diving (event, not sport, and scores assigned
by judges)
1 Water polo (timed game)
1 Women's beach volleyball (event, not sport)

See http://www.olympic.... for a list of the current Olympic
sports. I didn't worry about the exact words entrants used to
name them, but the question did require them to "name a sport",
not an event.

Unless I missed something, there are just four correct answers
among current sports. Volleyball was the most popular answer;
curling and the separate sport of beach volleyball were named;
but nobody tried the bobsleigh (bobsled).

Three past Olympic sports supplied additional correct answers;
another one, which was not given, was baseball (last played 2008).
I have not checked whether there are others. Finnish baseball or
pes?pallo, however, was not one; that was only ever a demonstration
sport.

The entrant who named rugby argued that "the end of the competition
is not normally determined by a clock" because, as in football,
play does not immediately end with the clock runs out. However --
I'll express this in football terminology since I don't know rugby
-- the clock still determines which play is the last play, and that
means it determines the end of the competition. So, wrong answer.

| 5. In general terms (see rule 2.2), give a meaning of "gondola"
| that refers or relates to a vehicle.

9 Basket, sling, or enclosure under a balloon [= Basket under
a hot-air balloon; Airship passenger compartment;
Airship crew car; Basket under a balloon; Basket under
a gas-filled balloon]
6 Open-topped railroad freight car
4 Long narrow flat-bottomed rowboat [= Traditional flat-bottomed
Venetian rowboat; Venetian rowboat]
3 Aerial cableway car [= Ski-lift cabin]
1 Boat carrier in a rotating boat lift
WRONG:
1 Island counter (not related to a vehicle)
1 Roller-coaster car (no such meaning)

Some of the answers were fairly long and detailed here, which risks
running afoul of the "in general terms" requirement, but I decided
in all cases that people were just making it clear what the meaning
they were giving was, not trying to be unduly specific.

In the case of a basic passenger balloon, the passengers ride in
a "gondola" in the form of an open basked. With an airship --
that is, a blimp or dirigible -- or some long-distance balloons,
they ride in an enclosed cabin. I was willing to treat these as
distinct meanings of the word, but one entrant gave the answer
"Basket, sling, or enclosure under a balloon" (actually, the full
wording was "A basket, enclosure, or instrument sling suspended from
and carried aloft by a balloon"), and I felt that the other two
answers were more specific cases of this. And since this was an
"in general terms" question, all of these answers were therefore
combined and scored as the same, making this the most popular answer.

Various different wordings were given for the railway car and the
Venetian-style boat, but it seemed to me that all of these entrants
were describing the same two types of vehicle. Some sources actually
distinguish a second type of boat called a gondola, a type of barge,
but there were no answers that clearly referred to this.

The other correct answer I had in mind when I wrote the question is
the one about an aerial cableway one. The similarly enclosed and
suspended cabins on some amusement-park rides, such as Ferris wheels,
may likewise be called gondolas, but the one entrant who went in
that direction referred to roller coasters, whose cars are different.

One entrant scored a 1 by thinking of rotating boat lifts such
as the Falkirk Wheel in Scotland, whose compartments are called
gondolas according to the Wheel's own web site.

| 6. Name a country now existing (see rule 4.1.1) whose current flag
| shows at least one star symbol with more than 5 points.

4 Australia (5 ? 7 points)
4 Burundi (3 ? 6 points)
4 Nepal (12 points)
2 Jordan (7 points)
2 Marshall Islands (24 points)
1 Azerbaijan (8 points)
1 Croatia (2 ? 6 points)
1 Israel (6 points)
1 Malaysia (14 points)
1 Nauru (12 points)
WRONG:
2 Uruguay (16-pointed symbol not a star symbol)
1 Antigua and Barbuda (9-pointed symbol not a star symbol)
1 Pakistan (5 points)

I thought people might avoid Australia because its flag came up
recently in rec.games.trivia, but they didn't.

As to the wrong answers, I take it as self-evident that a "star
symbol" is symmetrical and has a plain center with no markings
other than perhaps the continuations of the boundary lines.

I'm not aware of any correct answers that weren't given, but I only
made a cursory search for them after all the entries were in.

| 7. Name one of the New England states.

6 Maine
5 Connecticut
5 New Hampshire
5 Vermont
2 Massachusetts
1 Rhode Island
WRONG:
1 New South Wales

Only 6 possible answers here, and all were given... but with a strong
tendency to avoid Massachusetts, the most populous, and Rhode Island,
the smallest in area.

There is another New England *in* the state of New South Wales, but
that doesn't make it "one of the New England states". You wouldn't
say that Florida is "one of the Everglades states".

| 8. Bodies of water often have names that include a word indicating
| what type of body they are, such as "North Sea", "Lake Eyre",
| or "Snake River". Name a word that is used in this way in
| English, in one or more areas where most of the population
| primarily speaks English, to mean a river or something that
| would be called a river if it was larger.

5 Creek (Mimico Creek, ON, Canada)
3 Brook (Burbage Brook, England, UK)
2 Rill (Monan's Rill, CA, USA)
2 River (Canoe River, MA, USA)
>>> 1 [WRONG] Canoe River
2 Run (Saw Mill Run, PA, USA)
1 Afon (Afon Lwyd, Wales, UK)
1 Arm (North Arm, BC, Canada)
1 Beck (Briggle Beck, England, UK)
1 Burn (Kindallachan Burn, Scotland, UK)
1 Falls (Gunpowder Falls, MD, USA)
1 Fork (Clark Fork, ID, USA)
1 Ghyll (Stock Ghyll, England, UK)
1 Kill (Batten Kill, NY, USA)
1 Rio (Rio Grande, CO, USA)
1 Water (Water of Leith, Scotland, UK)
WRONG:
1 Canoe River (2 words)
1 Channel (no such usage)

For each correct answer I have given one example of its use.
The native-English words "creek" and "brook" were the most popular
answers, while the tricky correct answer "river" only given once in
a correct answer (but under rule 2.2, I scored the incorrect answer
"Canoe River" against it).

I was surprised at the answer "falls", as I had worded the question
so that words meaning "waterfall" would be incorrect answers, but
it turns out to be used for some rivers in Maryland, hence correct
after all.

| 9. Name a title of a movie or any sort of TV production, that
| refers explicitly or implicitly to *exactly two* specific
| characters in the work, such as "Jake and the Fatman" or "Caesar
| and Cleopatra", but where *exactly one* of the two characters
| is fictional.

4 "Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter" (1966) (see below)
(Jesse James)
3 "The Strange Case of Sherlock Holmes & Arthur Conan Doyle"
(2005 TV-movie) (Arthur Conan Doyle)
2 "Captain Kidd and the Slave Girl" (1954) (William Kidd)
1 "Billy the Kid vs. Dracula" (1966) (William Bonney)
1 "George and the President" (1976 episode of "The Jeffersons")
(Thomas Jefferson)
1 "Kate & Leopold" (2001) (Leopold, Duke of Albany) (see below)
1 "Me and Orson Welles" (2008) (Orson Welles)
1 "Messalina vs. the Son of Hercules" (1964) (Messalina, wife
of Emperor Claudius) (see below)
1 "Napoleon und die kleine W?scherin" (1920) (Napoleon)
1 "Ola & Julia" (1967) (Ola H?kansson)
1 "Peter's Got Woods" (2005 episode of "Family Guy") (James Woods)
1 "Prinz und Bettelknabe" (1915, 1920, 1937) (the future King
Edward VI)
1 "The Devil and Daniel Webster" (1941) (Daniel Webster)
1 "The Lady and the Bandit" (1951) (Dick Turpin)
1 "The Prince and the Pauper" (many versions 1937-2000) (the
future King Edward VI)
1 "Winchell-Mahoney Time" (1965-68) (Paul Winchell)
1 "Winnie the Pooh: Imagine That, Christopher Robin" (1999
direct-to-video short movie) (Christopher Robin) (see
below)
WRONG:
1 "James Dean and Me" (1995 TV-movie) (no fictional character)
1 "Mork and Mindy" (1978-82) (both fictional characters)

Along with each I have shown the real person that it refers to.
There were lots of choices, mostly about stories where the fictional
person meets a famous real person, but for some reason "Jesse
James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter" was the most popular of these.
Some titles described a different relationship, like Sherlock Holmes
and Arthur Conan Doyle, as in the next most popular title.

In two cases the title mentions three people but only two of them
are characters in the work: as far as I could tell, Frankenstein
does not appear in "Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter" and
Hercules does not appear in "Messalina vs. the Son of Hercules",
so these are correct answers.

There are three cases where the real-or-fictional status of a
character is questionable; I decided to allow them all. First,
Leopold, the Duke of Albany in "Kate & Leopold", was named Leopold
Alexis Elijah Walker Gareth Thomas Mountbatten, while the real-life
duke was Prince Leopold George Duncan Albert Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.
I decided that the change of surname was basically a "translation"
from one old royal family name into another for the convenience of a
modern audience that might well not know the old one, and the other
changes amounted to the same degree of fictionalization as having
him involved with the development of the elevator and visiting the
21st century; so he still counted as real.

Second, in the Winnie-the-Pooh stories it is unclear whether
"Christopher Robin" is a double given names or what; he is not
identified as the author's son Christopher Robin Milne. But, again,
it seems appropriate to consider him a fictionalization of the real
Milne, even though as an adult the latter was unhappy about being
identified with the character. On another point, a direct-to-video
movie shorter than feature length would not have been an acceptable
answer in many of my Rare Entries contests, but this one allowed
"any sort of TV production" and therefore it was.

Third, I could find no information about "Ola & Julia" to confirm
that Ola H?kansson was playing himself rather than a fictional
musician with the same first name, not even on Swedish web sites.
However, I was able to confirm that Ola's band in the movie had
the same name as his band in real life, so I decided that this,
too, must be a correct answer.

Finally, "Prinz und Bettelknabe" is simply the German translation of
the title of "The Prince and the Pauper", and at least one version
of the movie was known by both titles in different countries.
They still count as distinct answers because the question asked
entrants to "Name a title", not "Name a movie". I write it that
way because I didn't want people to submit different movies with
the same title, but I didn't think about the case where there were
different titles (each correct) for the same movie.

Thank you all for playing.
--
Mark Brader | lying
Toronto | abort reply.

Dan Tilque

Mark Brader wrote:

> | 2. Name a famous father and son who (1) are no longer living,
> | (2) were not monarchs, and (3) are typically known today by the
> | *same name* except for an appended distinguishing term *for each
> | of them*, such as "senior" for one and "junior" for the other.
> |
> | Fame is to be determined by Google counts. A simple Google
> | search for each name *as a phrase, including the distinguishing
> | term*, must return at least "about" 32,767 hits. In your answer
> | you must provide the two names in the exact way that you searched
> | for them, but different ways of referring to the same two people
> | will be taken as equivalent answers.
>

> The Rockefeller family has so far produced six generations of males
> with the same name -- John D. Rockefeller I/Jr./III/IV/V/VI -- all
> famous except for the 5-year-old VI, and therefore providing four
> different possible correct answers. However, the two entrants who
> decided to mine this rich field collided on the same answer, Jr./III.

There are only two valid answers from that family: Sr/Jr and Jr/III. And
since Sr is frequently called just John D Rockefeller without
qualification, I couldn't be certain you wouldn't rule the first one wrong.

IV/V/VI are all still living and so are disqualified. But even if that
didn't disqualify them, neither IV nor V uses the name John. IV goes by
Jay and V goes by Jamie.

--
Dan Tilque

Who needs TV when you can have the whole Internet insulting your
intelligence? -- Ziggy

Ted Schuerzinger

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 03:43:43 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> There were only 25 entrants this time, but one of them is a
> first-time winner. Hearty congratulations to NATE PAYMER! And he
> won despite having a wrong answer, too. Impressive. In second
> place was Lejonel Norling, and just behind him in third, John Gerson.

Did you not get my entry? I sent it Saturday evening and never received
a confirmation email.

--
Ted S.
fedya at hughes dot net

swp

On Monday, August 26, 2013 4:43:43 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Once again, I wrote:
> | As usual, for each of the items above, your objective is to give a
> | response that (1) is correct, and (2) will be duplicated by as FEW
> | other people as possible. Feel free to use any reference material...
>
> There were only 25 entrants this time, but one of them is a
> first-time winner. Hearty congratulations to NATE PAYMER! And he
> won despite having a wrong answer, too. Impressive. In second
> place was Lejonel Norling, and just behind him in third, John Gerson.
>
> These are their slates of answers (some abbreviated). As always, you
> should be reading this in a monospaced font for proper tabular alignment.
>
> NATE PAYMER LEJONEL NORLING JOHN GERSON
> [0] (wrong answer) Eyewall Willywilly
> [1] Salmon Khaki Perse
> [2] R.M. La Follette Lucas Cranach John Wood
> [3] "Duel" "Greed" "Red or Black?"
> [4] Volleyball Curling Curling
> [5] Boat lift bin Balloon basket (wrong answer)
> [6] Marshall Is. Croatia Nepal
> [7] Rhode I. Maine Massachusetts
> [8] Fork Water Run
> [9] "Peter's Got Woods" "Ola & Julia" "Messalina&Son/Hercules"
>
> Here is the complete table of scores.
>
> RANK SCORE ENTRANT Q0 Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9
> 1. 288 Nate Paymer WR 1 1 2 6 1 2 1 1 1
> 2. 1080 Lejonel Norling 1 1 1 5 4 9 1 6 1 1
> 3. 1152 John Gerson 1 1 1 1 4 WR 4 2 2 1
> 4. 2160 Stephen Perry 3 1 1 1 3 6 1 5 2 4

wow. my best slate yet. *and* *I* *still* *lost* *to* *people* *with* *wrong* *answers* argh!!!

> | 8. Bodies of water often have names that include a word indicating
> | what type of body they are, such as "North Sea", "Lake Eyre",
> | or "Snake River". Name a word that is used in this way in
> | English, in one or more areas where most of the population
> | primarily speaks English, to mean a river or something that
> | would be called a river if it was larger.
>
> 5 Creek (Mimico Creek, ON, Canada)
> 3 Brook (Burbage Brook, England, UK)
> 2 Rill (Monan's Rill, CA, USA)
> 2 River (Canoe River, MA, USA)
> 2 Run (Saw Mill Run, PA, USA)
> 1 Afon (Afon Lwyd, Wales, UK)
> 1 Arm (North Arm, BC, Canada)
> 1 Beck (Briggle Beck, England, UK)
> 1 Burn (Kindallachan Burn, Scotland, UK)
> 1 Falls (Gunpowder Falls, MD, USA)
> 1 Fork (Clark Fork, ID, USA)
> 1 Ghyll (Stock Ghyll, England, UK)
> 1 Kill (Batten Kill, NY, USA)
> 1 Rio (Rio Grande, CO, USA)
> 1 Water (Water of Leith, Scotland, UK)
> WRONG:
> 1 Canoe River (2 words)
> 1 Channel (no such usage)
>
> For each correct answer I have given one example of its use.
> The native-English words "creek" and "brook" were the most popular
> answers, while the tricky correct answer "river" only given once in
> a correct answer (but under rule 2.2, I scored the incorrect answer
> "Canoe River" against it).
>
> I was surprised at the answer "falls", as I had worded the question
> so that words meaning "waterfall" would be incorrect answers, but
> it turns out to be used for some rivers in Maryland, hence correct
> after all.

I thought "rio" was spanish for river, not english.

swp

James Dow Allen

I'm pleased with my 5th place showing. I wonder if my comrade-in-arms with Monan's Rill
made the same mistake I made: misreading the question but lucking out since there
happened to be a proper-named Rill.

As usual I did poorly on the "pick a number from 1 to 6" item, in this case New England
state. I don't know whether to blame my autistically bad social skills -- not knowing what
state others would pick, or to claim possible normalcy (at last!) in old age -- making the
same pick as others. There is a third possibility: You all are weirdos like me, so of course
we blunder in unison :-)

James Dow Allen