ork

4/27/2005 8:46:00 PM

ðÒÉ×ÅÔ ÁÌÌ!

õ ËÏÇÏ ÅÓÔØ ÉÎÆÁ ÐÏ ÎÁÐÉÓÁÎÉÀ AI(ÉÓËÕÓÔ×ÅÎÎÙÊ ÉÎÔÅÌÅËÔ). íÅÔÏÄÙ ÎÁÐÉÓÁÎÉÑ
ÐÒÉÎÃÉÐÙ, ×ÏÚÍÏÖÎÏ ÉÓÈÏÄÎÉËÉ, ËÉÎØÔÅ ÐÌÚ ÓÓÙÌËÕ Õ ËÏÇÏ ÅÓÔØ ÉÌÉ ÓÁÊÔ
ÐÏÄÓËÁÖÉÔÅ ÇÄÅ ÍÏÖÎÁ ÐÏÞÉÔÁÔØ ÔÁËÏÅ...

Best Regards Adept

mailto: mf@9ka.kiev.ua
CPU : 10.109.5.51 - Ú×ÏÎÉÔÅ ÐÏÏÂÝÁÅÍÓÑ =)))

7 Answers

Yarick

úÁÊÄÉ ÎÁ gamedev.ru - ÔÁÍ ÅÓÔØ ÓÓÙÌËÉ ÎÁ ÓÔÁÔØÉ ÐÏ ÒÁÚÒÁÂÏÔËÅ ÉÓËÕÓÔ×ÅÎÎÏÇÏ
ÉÎÔÅÌÌÅËÔÁ

Anton N. Breusov

Konnichi wa, ork <tornado@abaddon.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>:
> o EICI AOOO EI?A ?I IA?EOAIEA AI(EOEOOO?AIIUE EIOAIAEO). iAOIAU IA?EOAIEN
> ?OEIAE?U, ?IUIIOII EOEIAIEEE, EEIOOA ?IU OOUIEO O EICI AOOO EIE OAEO
> ?IAOEAOEOA CAA IIOIA ?I?EOAOO OAEIA...
?I?OIAOA UAONIOOO "AI Game Programming Wisdom" ? PDF'IEEA...
IIOAO OEOE ?AOO-OOIEEO AIAE.

> CPU : 10.109.5.51 - U?IIEOA ?IIAYAAION =)))
?EC ?AI, A?OUIEEE!

--
Anton N. Breusov 'Antonz'.
iO?UA AUOO O?EIO?E, ?AI ?AUEOOII. (?IOEI oIOOI)

Vira Tkachenko

o> o EICI AOOO EI?A ?I IA?EOAIEA AI(EOEOOO?AIIUE EIOAIAEO).
aOOO EIA-?OI (EIECE, AICIOEOIU, EAOAIICE OOUIIE), ?OA?AA ? IOII?III ?I
IAEOIIIUI OAONI:
ftp://machine.trinity.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua/pub/books/compbook/progr...

--
Best regards,
Vira mailto:tovera@trinity.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua

Jakub Debski

> Is it fun?

I'm impressed how fun it is.

regards,
Jakub

Jakub Debski

> I noticed a resurrect feature, so that could be another argument
> against Transcendence being a proper roguelike.

I have discovered this game two days ago and still don't know
everything about it, but the resurect feature (insurance) seems to be
amulet of life saving.
A "proper roguelike"?
As we know there is no single definition of a roguelike.
There are many different games that can be counted as roguelike,
having many features that weren't in the original Rogue. For instance:
- Decker
- JauntTrooper - Mission: Firestorm
- Sorcerer's Cave
- Strefa Smierci (real-time)

while some others, more similar on the first sight, like "Castle of the
winds" aren't.
The good review of the presented game is here:
http://www.rgcd.co.uk/reviews/transce...

The author of the game says:
Q2. What was the main inspiration behind Transcendence?
Transcendence was inspired by two seminal games: Nethack and Star
Control II.

regards,
Jakub

Lorenzo Gatti

On Apr 21, 8:49 am, Jakub Debski <debski.ja...@wp.pl> wrote:
> > Is it fun?
>
> I'm impressed how fun it is.
>
> regards,
> Jakub

Transcendence is fun and original, but I gave up after several games
because (in the current version, 0.98d, I'll try next one eagerly) it
has balance problems:
1) Too much randomness: finding certain stores and items is critically
important, and there is no remedy if they are missing, as you can
either linger wasting fuel or dive and be slaughtered because of
insufficient equipment.
2) Easily harvested infinite resources (the pirates appearing out of
thin air). Fuel is vastly ineffective in forcing advancement, since
not all fuel sources can be depleted.

As graphics are already excellent, I hope future development will
address these limitations.

Regards,
Lorenzo Gatti

thiskidrob

> 1) Too much randomness: finding certain stores and items is critically
> important, and there is no remedy if they are missing, as you can
> either linger wasting fuel or dive and be slaughtered because of
> insufficient equipment.

Well this certainly sounds like a roguelike!

> 2) Easily harvested infinite resources (the pirates appearing out of
> thin air). Fuel is vastly ineffective in forcing advancement, since
> not all fuel sources can be depleted.

This sounds more like ADOM than Crawl...