Yarick

4/20/2005 5:07:00 AM

ðÏÄÓËÁÖÉÔÅ ËÔÏ-ÎÉÔØ ËÁË × ÓÁÂÖÅ×ÏÍ ËÏÍÐÏÎÅÎÔÅ ÍÏÖÎÏ ÒÅÁÌÉÚÏ×ÁÔØ
ÒÅÄÁËÔÉÒÏ×ÁÎÉÅ. úÁÒÁÎÅÅ ÂÌÁÇÏÄÁÒÅÎ.

6 Answers

Sasha

LRESULT CTestListCtrl::OnBeginLabelEdit(LPNMHDR pnmh)
{
NMLVDISPINFO* lpdi = (NMLVDISPINFO*) pnmh;
GetItemText(lpdi->item.iItem,0,m_Edit);
return 0;
}

LRESULT CTestListCtrl::OnEndLabelEdit(LPNMHDR pnmh)
{
NMLVDISPINFO* lpdi = (NMLVDISPINFO*) pnmh;
//lpdi->item.pszText;
return 0;
}

éÓÐÏÌØÚÏ×ÁÔØ LVN_BEGINLABELEDIT, LVN_ENDLABELEDIT

Vincenzo Beretta

> In Grigsby's WARSHIP, there were three types of mission, IIRC, regular
> battles, "transport," and "bombardment." I disremember what the exact
> parameters of the latter are, but they both involve getting off the
> opposite end of the map, and jigger with available ship points and the
> VP calculations.
>
> Also IIRC, WARSHIP featured an "air superiority" clause which impacted
> victory conditions - a la HIEI, which wasn't lost in the naval battle,
> but (due to an inability to flee) was completely wrecked by US airpower
> once the sun came up.

As I was saying to Mike Kreuzer, it would be nice to see "Thunder at Sea"
adapted so to work as the operational layer for WC-NAW. I understand that
this is already planned for "Supremacy at Sea", but I won't bother to have
the simpler game available *too*.

http://forums.navalwarfare.org/showpost.php?p=10&p...

It is possible to check it even without having Fightning Steel installed -
just skip the parts where the installer asks for the FS directory. And, of
course, without FS installed it is impossible to resolve the various
battles. But checking the demo gives a good idea about how TaS would work if
paired with WC-NAW (it simulates, among other things, various kinds of
missions for fleets, recon, air strikes, ships' repair times and so on).

The demo, BTW, has only two scenarios: Rheinubung and a Guadalcanal one, but
the full game come with about 10 scenarios and four campaigns - including
North Atlantic, the Med, Guadalcanal and ABDA. It is a nice little polished
operational layer for potentially any naval wargame.

Giftzwerg

In article <lr8gg59l9qaqrtoo62p263hbmp79i9vm3h@4ax.com>,
old.salt@cmaaccess.com says...

> >> In some circumstances
> >> (desperate) it made sense for destroyer escorts and planes without AP
> >> bombs to make runs at Japanese battleships (Leyte).
> >
> >... something brain-damaged "tin can sailors" refuse to acknowledge.
>
> The only one who brain dead is you, since you can not
> comprehend the difference between "some circumstances" and all the
> time. Since I have said there are exceptions to the rule and on rare
> times they were broken to protect a major asset.

In a scenario I just played, DD YUGUMO had all three main turrets
damaged, and promptly ran for it ...

.... and two of three turrets were repaired within three turns.

Now YUGUMO has 2/3rds of her firpower back, has no flotation damage,
little other damage, and can steam at 31 knots. Oh, and the rest of the
squadron is embroiled in heavy combat with a superior force of US
destroyers.

Think she outta rejoin the fight? Nope. No way. Still acting in the
finest "old salt" tradition and running away as fast as possible.

--
Giftzwerg
***

Peter Symonds

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:15:32 -0500, Giftzwerg
<giftzwerg999@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Or the
>> armed Merchant cruiser Raplandi (sp?) that sacrificed itself against
>> the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau in order to give it's convoy a chance to
>> escape.
>
>Not exactly. RAWALPINDI was part of a patrol line charged with
>interdicting German merchant ships which might be trying to slip through
>Icelandic waters back to Germany in the first few months of the war.
>
>Instead, she encountered SCHARNHORST and GNEISENAU, heaving out on a
>raiding mission (her captain thought it was DEUTSCHLAND), and they
>ordered her to heave to. The captain preferred to fight, and attacked.
>The results were foreordained. Kaboom.

Her Captain was the father of Loduvic Kennedy, author and broadcaster,
who wrote "Pursuit" about the hunt for the Bismarck. The OP may be
thinking of Jervis Bay, another AMC that attacked the Scheer to try
and save her convoy. Needless to say the end result was a similar
Kaboom.
Another example of unbelievable courage in the face of overwhelming
odds. Which is why I have trouble believing that type of Captain, (and
from everything I've read over the years, most of them in just about
every navy were that type), scuttling away _against orders_ just
because he's out of ammo.

Peter Symonds

dougb

On Nov 21, 5:04 pm, Peter Symonds <t...@isfalse.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:15:32 -0500, Giftzwerg
>
> <giftzwerg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Or the
> >> armed Merchant cruiser Raplandi (sp?) that sacrificed itself against
> >> the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau in order to give it's convoy a chance to
> >> escape.
>
> >Not exactly.  RAWALPINDI was part of a patrol line charged with
> >interdicting German merchant ships which might be trying to slip through
> >Icelandic waters back to Germany in the first few months of the war.
>
> >Instead, she encountered SCHARNHORST and GNEISENAU, heaving out on a
> >raiding mission (her captain thought it was DEUTSCHLAND), and they
> >ordered her to heave to.  The captain preferred to fight, and attacked..
> >The results were foreordained.  Kaboom.
>
> Her Captain was the father of Loduvic Kennedy, author and broadcaster,
> who wrote "Pursuit" about the hunt for the Bismarck. The OP may be
> thinking of Jervis Bay, another AMC that attacked the Scheer to try
> and save her convoy. Needless to say the end result was a similar
> Kaboom.
> Another example of unbelievable courage in the face of overwhelming
> odds. Which is why I have trouble believing that type of Captain, (and
> from everything I've read over the years, most of them in just about
> every navy were that type), scuttling away _against orders_  just
> because he's out of ammo.
>
> Peter Symonds

I'd forgotten about the Jervis Bay but yes that is another good
example.

Best wishes,

Doug

Giftzwerg

In article <m4ogg5hdn48fk71tmq4vn72ehon11gnecu@4ax.com>,
this@isfalse.com says...

> >Instead, she encountered SCHARNHORST and GNEISENAU, heaving out on a
> >raiding mission (her captain thought it was DEUTSCHLAND), and they
> >ordered her to heave to. The captain preferred to fight, and attacked.
> >The results were foreordained. Kaboom.
>
> Her Captain was the father of Loduvic Kennedy, author and broadcaster,
> who wrote "Pursuit" about the hunt for the Bismarck.

Yes. That fact was buried down there somewhere in my rat's maze of
dissociated thoughts.

I recall, also, that while Churchill mentioned him favorably in
parliament, he wasn't universally praised for what some called a
pointless suicide mission. No VC for him, either, IIRC.

> The OP may be
> thinking of Jervis Bay, another AMC that attacked the Scheer to try
> and save her convoy. Needless to say the end result was a similar
> Kaboom.

Yeah, this was almost certainly what he meant, the difference being that
JERVIS BAY was ordered to protect a convoy, while RAWALPINDI was simply
on patrol. Presumably, the latter was able to flee at captain's
discretion on being confronted with such a formidable foe as two
battlecruisers, since the mission was stopping and searching suspect
merchantment.

> Another example of unbelievable courage in the face of overwhelming
> odds. Which is why I have trouble believing that type of Captain, (and
> from everything I've read over the years, most of them in just about
> every navy were that type), scuttling away _against orders_ just
> because he's out of ammo.

Indeed, I'd love to see some examples where captains took otherwise
undamaged ships out of battle line simply because they were out of
ammunition.

And, as I mention in another post, I had a Japanese DD disengage with
all her turrets *hors de combat* ... and subsequently repair two of them
.... while still in contact. Can anyone imagine a Japanese skipper with
a watertight ship and two out of three main guns working *continuing to
flee*? Even if we believe he'd run in the first place?

--
Giftzwerg
***