Igor V. Demydenko

4/19/2005 9:37:00 PM

ëÔÏ ÍÏÖÅÔ ÐÏÓÏ×ÅÔÏ×ÁÔØ ÐÏÞÉÔÁÔØ ÌÉÔÅÒÁÔÕÒËÕ, ÐÏ ÐÒÁËÔÉÞÅÓËÏÍÕ
ÐÒÏÇÒÁÍÍÉÒÏ×ÁÎÉÀ, ÏÐÉÓÁÎÉÀ ÏÓÎÏ×ÎÙÈ API ÎÁ ÓÁÂÖÅ.

úù. RTFM ÎÅ ÐÏÓÙÌÁÔØ.

16 Answers

SeR

ðÒÉ×ÅÔ ÍÏÇÕÞÉÊ Igor V. Demydenko, ÚÁÓÔÁ×ÌÑÀÝÉÊ Í£ÒÔ×ÙÈ ÄÒÏÖÁÔØ!
ðÏ j2me ÌÉÔÅÒÁÔÕÒÙ ×ÏÏÂÝÅ ÏÞÅÎØ ÍÁÌÏ.
éÚ ÔÅÈ, ÞÔÏ ÚÎÁÀ Ñ ÍÏÖÅÛ ÇÌÑÎÕÔØ
Wireless Programming with J2ME.Cracking the Code by Hungry Minds
SUN Introduction to J2ME by SUN

--
UnitÅd minds...
Connecting...

Gamer_2k4

On Jun 7, 6:41 pm, Perdurabo <perdurab...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 9:33 pm, Martin Read <mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > When the ceiling has several hundred metres of rock above it, a
> > collapsed ceiling = a new wall.
> > --
>
> Has anyone thought about doing this dynamically in-game?

I'm actually going to have the dungeon collapse immediately after the
player defeats the final boss in my game. He'll have to get to the
surface amidst all that.

However, that's a long way off, and I'd appreciate it if you'd forget
that by the time you play my game. ;)

--
Gamer_2k4

perdurabo93@googlemail.com

On Jun 8, 2:03 am, Gamer_2k4 <gamer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 6:41 pm, Perdurabo <perdurab...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 7, 9:33 pm, Martin Read <mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > > When the ceiling has several hundred metres of rock above it, a
> > > collapsed ceiling = a new wall.
> > > --
>
> > Has anyone thought about doing this dynamically in-game?
>
> I'm actually going to have the dungeon collapse immediately after the
> player defeats the final boss in my game. He'll have to get to the
> surface amidst all that.
>
> However, that's a long way off, and I'd appreciate it if you'd forget
> that by the time you play my game. ;)

Forget what? *grins*

Best,
P.

InugamiPup

On Jun 7, 1:33 pm, Martin Read <mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> dominikmarc...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> ceiling collapses => new wall!
>
> >ceiling collapses = a heap of rubble on the ground.
>
> Depends how thick the ceiling is.
>
> When the ceiling has several hundred metres of rock above it, a
> collapsed ceiling = a new wall.

ceiling collapses on player = damage/kill player depending on how
thick the ceiling is, create new walls around player

Pfhoenix

> Has anyone thought about doing this dynamically in-game? Apart from
> the obvious usage as atmosphere in an Indiana-Jones style RL, I could
> see this being an interesting addition to gameplay in certain
> circumstances, e.g. if you progressively collapse a level the longer
> the player stays on it, a level with powerful enemies that the player
> wants to keep as many walls between them and him for as long as
> possible...

I have in my design notes for Adeo a list of environment changing
effects that result from explosions, combat, or other things. Part of
the intended implementation involves every object having material
definitions. That's a long ways off, though.

- Pfhoenix
http://adeo.pf...

Mario Donick

Pfhoenix schrieb:
> I have in my design notes for Adeo a list of environment changing
> effects that result from explosions, combat, or other things. Part of
> the intended implementation involves every object having material
> definitions. That's a long ways off, though.

This makes me think of implementing a real physical model in a RL, as
done in several modern games today. The new Alone in the Dark seems to
make this rather good.

Mario

I Own The Letter O

On 8 Jun, 14:52, Mario Donick <mario.don...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pfhoenix schrieb:
>
> > I have in my design notes for Adeo a list of environment changing
> > effects that result from explosions, combat, or other things. Part of
> > the intended implementation involves every object having material
> > definitions. That's a long ways off, though.
>
> This makes me think of implementing a real physical model in a RL, as
> done in several modern games today. The new Alone in the Dark seems to
> make this rather good.
>
> Mario

Whilst not on the same scale as a whole dungeon mess-around. Does any
RL's that you know of implement a possible cave-in through to much
mining. Other than simply consuming lots of food and time and the risk
of wandering monsters characters seem to be able to endlessly mine
levels looking for hidden vaults or precious metals (depending on the
roguelike). When I implement mining/digging etc I intend to run a
probability based on the type of material their digging into and the
amount of digging already down. For example...

###
###
..@. will probably not collapse... but...

..#.
..@. will probably cause a quite band cave-in if the material isn't
strong enough to hold the weight above it.

Monsters could interact with the dungeon in a similar way. A dragon
breathes acid at you, ha-ha you cry I have acid resistance and all my
equipment does too... Oh poop the walls have melted though and now the
roof has fallen on my head... Double poop I don't have roof
resistance... YASD!

You could all the way and have an astral realm/crazy maze that is
constantly morphing just outside the players FoV. Kind of like the
film Labyrinth.

Just killed an impossibly tall giant in a dungeon (how he squeezed in
doesn't really matter). The big beastie falls over in his death
throes, squashing several enemies (they didn't have roof resistance
with is transferable to falling giants as well) and causing a seismic
wave that bring some roof down.

Also what is caving in during the cave in. Could the features of the
level above come down, a watery level above and you get rain, a stream
of lava could be bad, just escaped an OOD monster on the previous
level oh poop he's fallen through the cave in and now you and it are
trapped surrounded by lava.

I've gone quite a way from the original topic, but I feel it's all
pertinant to the subject of a morphable (i.e. changable) dungeon.

deej

On Jun 9, 6:35 am, I Own The Letter O <lord_h...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 8 Jun, 14:52, Mario Donick <mario.don...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Pfhoenix schrieb:
>
> > > I have in my design notes for Adeo a list of environment changing
> > > effects that result from explosions, combat, or other things. Part of
> > > the intended implementation involves every object having material
> > > definitions. That's a long ways off, though.
>
> > This makes me think of implementing a real physical model in a RL, as
> > done in several modern games today. The new Alone in the Dark seems to
> > make this rather good.
>
> > Mario
>
> Whilst not on the same scale as a whole dungeon mess-around. Does any
> RL's that you know of implement a possible cave-in through to much
> mining. Other than simply consuming lots of food and time and the risk
> of wandering monsters characters seem to be able to endlessly mine
> levels looking for hidden vaults or precious metals (depending on the
> roguelike). When I implement mining/digging etc I intend to run a
> probability based on the type of material their digging into and the
> amount of digging already down. For example...

Well ADOM will collapse the level on you if you're able to kick down
walls and you kick the stairs...

I Own The Letter O

> Well ADOM will collapse the level on you if you're able to kick down
> walls and you kick the stairs

I've never been that destructive in ADOM (I've tried kicking statues
and the like but have never been strong enough, me == wimp).

I like little touches like that, it makes you feel like the world is
more fleshed out (kind of like being able to pummel a werewolf to
death with your silver rings and the like). Its a sign of an
imaginative developer when you discover little tweaks like that. If I
destroy all the supports of a section of roofing then I expect it to
come down, if I tunnel through a wall into a vault waist deep in water
I expect the water to flow out (or a description of the change in
floor level if it doesn't and I step into it). I'd like wooden doors
to catch fire if I evade a flaming arrow whilst standing next to it. I
want the moon on a ruddy stick and I want it now!!!

Krice

On 9 kesä, 18:28, I Own The Letter O <lord_h...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> If I destroy all the supports of a section of roofing then I
> expect it to come down

Funny thing is that I was thinking this the other day when I
was designing some level themes. First it could be a warning
like small earthquake and some rocks falling from ceiling,
but if the player continues digging then the level could
collapse, but even then it could be possible to survive.

> I'd like wooden doors to catch fire if I evade a flaming
> arrow whilst standing next to it.

I'm going to implement fire as an element so you can do
that and much more:)