Security Concerns and .NET Remoting

Jason Schneekloth

11/1/2004 6:54:00 PM

Hello all-

I'm writing a .NET remoting app which seems to have some strange things
happening (and I think it has something to do with security issues).
Basically I have a server and client (both running on the same machine with
no intension of moving them to separate machines at this point in time) and a
shared object between the two. This shared object is implemented server-side.

What works:
On the server, if I make a call to, say:
System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("mailto:someone@mail.com");

it opens up whatever default mail client there is and all proceeds just
fine....now, if this call is originated via the client through the shared
object, the call does nothing, in fact, an exception is thrown:

"An unhandled exception of type 'System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception'
occurred in mscorlib.dll

Additional information: The requested lookup key was not found in any active
activation context"

I assume this would happen if I were to open a file, or do most any kind of
system level operation from a call originating within the client through the
shared object....

My question is, how do I make this work? I'm using TCP for the remoting,
and everything is pretty much as basic as it can be in order to get things
working. If you could provide some examples and/or some links to what is
going on that would be great!

Thanks in advance....

Jason Schneekloth