Serialization vs. MarshalByRef, who wins?

Max Metral

10/6/2004 7:10:00 PM

I have a framework that I've built to be serializable. Basically you
construct a bunch of objects with settings and such, and serialize them to
disk and that becomes your "configuration" file. At runtime, the config is
deserialized and "rehydrated" using a custom interface. So far so good.
Now, for other reasons, I want to allow objects in the framework to be
callable remotely. So now I will have these objects deriving from
MarshalByRefObject. In most, if not all cases, I want these objects to be
passed by reference across machine and process boundaries. But given that
they are also marked Serializable, what is the defined behavior here?

Thanks.
--Max

1 Answer

Ken Kolda

If the object derives from MarshalByRefObject, it will be remoted by
reference regardless of whether it's also Serializable.

Ken