microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.caching

dbo.AspNet_SqlCachePollingStoredProcedure call frequency

BillInEdmonton

9/3/2010 9:38:00 PM

We have set up our asp.net website with a SQL 2005 database and cache polling.

Things work very well for caching, but when monitoring the database I notice
that the dbo.AspNet_SqlCachePollingStoredProcedure procedure appears to get
called more often than it needs to.

We have set the polling frequency in the machine.config to 30,000 (i.e. 30
seconds).

We are caching the results form perhaps 30 stored procedures. Some of these
have many variations of results (say several hundred).

According to my performance monitoring of the database, the dbo.
AspNet_SqlCachePollingStoredProcedure gets called on average about 25
times/second.

Since I am willing to cache my results for up to 30 seconds, I don't
understand why it is checking the result of this table so frequently. Under
exactly what circumstances and at what point does the polling stored
procedure get called?

It would be nice to effectively cache the caching procedure itself and only
call it 1/second or 1/every 30 seconds.