question about events and proxy-server

jarod1701

9/22/2004 8:18:00 AM

Hi everybody,

as i'm totally new to remoting I wonder whether it is possible to get
it to work using an http-channel over a proxy-server.
The thing is that my company uses a proxy-server which only allows
http via port 8080.
I want to develop a client-server-application. The client would
connect to the server using an http channel. Every time the server has
a new message for the client it is supposed to notify it via a custom
event.
Is it possible to achive this ?
Are there any working remoting-samples available ?
1 Answer

Ken Kolda

Whether or not the proxy causes problems will depend on a couple of factors:

1) Does the proxy also do Network Address Translation (i.e. is the server's
IP as seen by the client different than its IP as seen from the server).
2) Is the client behind a firewall/proxy that performs NAT or would
otherwise prevent the server from connecting to it.
3) Does the proxy require authentication?

If the answer to any of these is yes, you're likely to run into problems.
Some issues may be surmountable and other not (for example, if there's a
firewall blocking connections back to the client that you're not in control
of or the client's behind a network performing NAT and doesn't have a static
IP mapping, you're toast).

If you not averse to spending some money, I highly recommend checking out
the GenuineChannels product (www.genuinechannels.com). This product replaces
the built-in TCP and HTTP channels and cisrcumvents these issues by always
initiating connections from the client.

Good luck -
Ken