When is Remoting appropriate?

Joshua Belden

9/8/2004 10:33:00 PM

Let's say I have a database that stores books and a client application that
retrieves a list of those books, adds new books, and updates / deletes
existing books.

Normally I would implement this all in stored procedures and the client
application.

This seems like a good place to use Remoting however, I could have a server
component that handles all of the database work and business rules and the
client simply sends the request along with any necessary data.

Also, if all client applications needed to be notified when a book was added
or modified, Remoting would be even more valuable.

Am I way off? What would the scenario have to be before Remoting was
appropriate.
2 Answers

Lord2702

Your application is a Client-Server, and it best to use remoting, with TCP
channel, if it is inside your office, or on IIS, with Http Channel if you
want your clients has to have security plus they should be able to access
from anywhere, I mean 3W's.

Good Luck.

"Joshua Belden" <JoshuaBelden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Let's say I have a database that stores books and a client application
that
> retrieves a list of those books, adds new books, and updates / deletes
> existing books.
>
> Normally I would implement this all in stored procedures and the client
> application.
>
> This seems like a good place to use Remoting however, I could have a
server
> component that handles all of the database work and business rules and the
> client simply sends the request along with any necessary data.
>
> Also, if all client applications needed to be notified when a book was
added
> or modified, Remoting would be even more valuable.
>
> Am I way off? What would the scenario have to be before Remoting was
> appropriate.

Henry Wilson

Hi Joshua,
Recently an interesting article was submitted to the GotDotNet site. This
document is a complete guide to .Net Remoting and it contains a link to a
sample application. This application provides exactly the same functionality
you have described in your post.

You can get it here
http://www.gotdotnet.com/Community/Resources...
Or here
http://www.genuinechannels.com/Downloads/Beginner...

I am beginner at .Net Remoting too and I have found the guide very and very
useful.

Best regards,
Henry