Security problems with new Service Pack

Sylvain Ross

I'm using dotnet 1.0 and I developped a whole remoting system which was
working perfectly until a few days ago, when I installed the latest
Service Pack for dotnet 1.0 :

Here is the exception :

It seems that the Service pack adds some security restrictions, and now
I got an exception when trying to invoke a remote method on a remote object:

Unhandled Exception:
System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Reques
t for the permission of type System.Runtime.Remoting.ObjRef failed. --->
System.
Security.SecurityException: Request failed.
at
System.Security.SecurityRuntime.FrameDescSetHelper(FrameSecurityDescriptor
secDesc, PermissionSet demandSet, PermissionSet& alteredDemandSet)
at
System.Runtime.Serialization.FormatterServices.nativeGetSafeUninitializedO
bject(RuntimeType type)
at
System.Runtime.Serialization.FormatterServices.GetSafeUninitializedObject(
Type type)

Server stack trace:
at
System.Runtime.Serialization.FormatterServices.GetSafeUninitializedObject(
Type type)
at
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ParseObject(Pa
rseRecord pr)
at
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Parse(ParseRec
ord pr)
at
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.ReadObjectWi
thMapTyped(BinaryObjectWithMapTyped record)
at
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.ReadObjectWi
thMapTyped(BinaryHeaderEnum binaryHeaderEnum)
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.Run()
at
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(He
aderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck,
IMethodCallMessag
e methodCallMessage)
at
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize
(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck,
IMethodCallM
essage methodCallMessage)
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.CoreChannel.DeserializeBinaryRequestMessa
ge(String objectUri, Stream inputStream, Boolean bStrictBinding,
TypeFilterLevel
securityLevel)
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryServerFormatterSink.ProcessMessage(
IServerChannelSinkStack sinkStack, IMessage requestMsg,
ITransportHeaders reques
tHeaders, Stream requestStream, IMessage& responseMsg,
ITransportHeaders& respon
seHeaders, Stream& responseStream)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage req
Msg, IMessage retMsg)
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgDa
ta, Int32 type)
at PowerstackCommon.IPowerstackCluster.DoYouKnowMe(IPowerstackServer s)
at PowerstackServer.PowerstackServer.ClusterCheckerSub()

If anyone knows how to solve that ...

Thx in advance

Sylvain
2 Answers

Ken Kolda

I don't know anything about the SP for .NET 1.0, but the error you're
getting is a very familiar one. In .NET 1.1 they added a TypeFilterLevel
property to the BinaryServerFormatterSinkProvider object which you have to
set to TypeFilterLevel.Full in order to deserialize ObjRefs. Here's more
info:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconautomaticdeserializationinnetre...

Ken

==========

> [...]
> securityLevel)
> at
> System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryServerFormatterSink.ProcessMessage(
> IServerChannelSinkStack sinkStack, IMessage requestMsg,
> ITransportHeaders reques
> tHeaders, Stream requestStream, IMessage& responseMsg,
> ITransportHeaders& respon
> seHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
>
> Exception rethrown at [0]:
> at
> System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage req
> Msg, IMessage retMsg)
> at
> System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgDa
> ta, Int32 type)
> at PowerstackCommon.IPowerstackCluster.DoYouKnowMe(IPowerstackServer
s)
> at PowerstackServer.PowerstackServer.ClusterCheckerSub()

Ganesan.M

Hello all,
I have a user control inside a webform. basically have login.ascx inside
login.aspx. the login.ascx contains the <form> tag.

<form id="Form1" runat="server">

before the sp1 the form would render like this...

<form name="_ctl7:Form1" method="post" action="Login.aspx" id="_ctl7_Form1">

after sp1 it was this...

<form name="__aspnetForm" method="post" action="login.aspx"
id="__aspnetForm">

It is killing some of my javascript where I look for "_ctl:Form1"!

Can any one help me why this problem comes in framework 1.1
sp1

Thanks for your help
Ganesan.M