call remoting object from vba

md

9/7/2004 8:00:00 PM

Hello

I've created a C# outlook addin that will get an object from the server
using dotnet remoting. The addin is marked as Register for Com interop. When
i try to cast the returned object into the a specific class, i get
"specified cast is invalid". The specific class is implemented in a
(separate) referenced assembly (located in the same directory as the addin
assembly on the client)... What can be wrong?

It does work from a native .NET client.

Thanks

Marco

2 Answers

Ken Kolda

Without knowing the specifics of what you're doing, the problem sounds like
you're trying to cast an object to an interface it doesn't implement. Very
likely, you have an assembly with an interface of the same name that you're
trying to cast your object to, but the interface it implements is defined in
a different assembly than the one you're using. This can often be an issue
with COM objects if you're not using a primary interop assembly (PIA).

Ken

"md" <mdissel@NOSPAM.home.NETHERLANDS> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I've created a C# outlook addin that will get an object from the server
> using dotnet remoting. The addin is marked as Register for Com interop.
When
> i try to cast the returned object into the a specific class, i get
> "specified cast is invalid". The specific class is implemented in a
> (separate) referenced assembly (located in the same directory as the addin
> assembly on the client)... What can be wrong?
>
> It does work from a native .NET client.
>
> Thanks
>
> Marco

mdissel

> Without knowing the specifics of what you're doing, the problem sounds like
> you're trying to cast an object to an interface it doesn't implement. Very
> likely, you have an assembly with an interface of the same name that you're
> trying to cast your object to, but the interface it implements is defined in
> a different assembly than the one you're using. This can often be an issue
> with COM objects if you're not using a primary interop assembly (PIA).

If i install the referenced assembly on the client in the GAC it's
working. It is necessary to install all referenced assemblies in the
GAC when using remoting from a COM client?

When i debug the outlook process, i can see that my referenced
assemblies are loaded (using the directory where the COM addin is
located)..

Thanks for your help!!

Marco