How Hoste Remote Object Securly

Naeem

9/7/2004 6:31:00 AM

Hi all
How I host remote object on IIS prgrammtically without using
congiuration files and also donot let the client application know the real
implemetation of the remote object?
How I protect the open port in case of using window service hosting
remote object which keep listening on any HttpChannel or TcpChannel?
1 Answer

Ken Kolda

"Naeem" <Naeem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
> How I host remote object on IIS prgrammtically without using
> congiuration files and also donot let the client application know the real
> implemetation of the remote object?

Use an interface-based approach to allow the client to interact with the
server without having the implementation of the objects. See
http://www.genuinechannels.com/Content.aspx?id=28&... for more details.
As for configuration files, there's no need for them as you can do
(virtually) everything programmatically. See

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconprogrammaticconfigu...

for a string point on this.

> How I protect the open port in case of using window service hosting
> remote object which keep listening on any HttpChannel or TcpChannel?

That depends on what you mean by "protect". If you want to have login-based
security, you'll have to roll your own. A strategy I use is to expose a
singleton object which all clients can access. Have it expose a Login()
method which, if the ID/password are good, returns a new, unique instance of
a remoted object to the client. This object essentially acts as the client's
"token" for subsequent calls into the server and would expose all the
necessary APIs taht you need secured.

Good luck -
Ken