Fix passing exception through remoting problem

msnews.microsoft.com

9/2/2004 5:30:00 PM

Exception can be thrown from remoting server to client on .net frame 1.0, it
starts have problem since 1.1 came, when will MicroSoft fix this problem?

6 Answers

Robert Jordan

msnews.microsoft.com wrote:
> Exception can be thrown from remoting server to client on .net frame 1.0, it
> starts have problem since 1.1 came, when will MicroSoft fix this problem?

It's not a bug. You have to put this in your App.config:

<configuration>
<system.runtime.remoting>
<customErrors mode="off" />
</system.runtime.remoting>
</configuration>

bye
Rob

msnews.microsoft.com

"Robert Jordan" <robertj@gmx.net> wrote in message
> msnews.microsoft.com wrote:
> > Exception can be thrown from remoting server to client on .net frame
1.0, it
> > starts have problem since 1.1 came, when will MicroSoft fix this
problem?

> It's not a bug. You have to put this in your App.config:
>
> <configuration>
> <system.runtime.remoting>
> <customErrors mode="off" />
> </system.runtime.remoting>
> </configuration>
>
> bye
> Rob

I tried customErrors off, it does not help. Somebody said that you need
implement server side exceptions to inherit ApplicationException,implement
ISerializable,IDisposible and add a default protected ctr, but I want server
propagrates all orginal exceptions to remoting client.

Simon

msnews.microsoft.com

I can not throw System.ComponentModel.WarningException to client and oracle
exceptions defined by ODP.NET, can you?

Simon

"Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I can throw a System.Exception from remoting server to client on 1.1
> Framework and I haven't nothing special in my code. I had some troubles
when
> I tried to throw an custom exception which inherits of a
> ApplicationException, then I had to implement the constructor for the
> seriabilization process... but standard .Net exception is not required.
>

> "msnews.microsoft.com" wrote:
>

> > "Robert Jordan" <robertj@gmx.net> wrote in message
> > 1.0, it
> > problem?
> > >
> > > It's not a bug. You have to put this in your App.config:
> > >
> > > <configuration>
> > > <system.runtime.remoting>
> > > <customErrors mode="off" />
> > > </system.runtime.remoting>
> > > </configuration>
> > >
> > > bye
> > > Rob
> >
> > I tried customErrors off, it does not help. Somebody said that you need
> > implement server side exceptions to inherit
ApplicationException,implement
> > ISerializable,IDisposible and add a default protected ctr, but I want
server
> > propagrates all orginal exceptions to remoting client.
> >
> > Simon

Robert Jordan

msnews.microsoft.com wrote:

> I can not throw System.ComponentModel.WarningException to client and oracle
> exceptions defined by ODP.NET, can you?

System.ComponentModel.WarningException ist not serializable,
so it cannot be transmitted.

bye
Rob

msnews.microsoft.com

I can not throw Exception either.

Simon

> msnews.microsoft.com wrote:
>
> > I can not throw System.ComponentModel.WarningException to client and
oracle
> > exceptions defined by ODP.NET, can you?
>
> System.ComponentModel.WarningException ist not serializable,
> so it cannot be transmitted.
>
> bye
> Rob

Lord2702

Fri. Sep. 03, 2004 12:10 PM PT

I want to throw DBConcurrencyException, But I can not get this exception on
client side, hence I derive it from ApplicationException, and ISerializable,
and IDisposable. a Lot of work, But still surprised, evenif
DBConcurrencyException is marked as serializable, and ISerializable, but we
can not throw it. I suppose it is a BUG. But for me, I HAVE to find some way
to throw this exception.

Good Luck!