microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.caching

persistent cache in SQL Server

Trapulo

11/14/2008 8:16:00 AM

Hello,
I'm developing an asp.net application that is connected to a remote system
using WCF (wshttp binding). So I want to use a local cache to manage data
that I receive from remote service.

I'm using caching block from MS application enterprise library 4.1,
configured to use a SQL Server cache. That's great: it works with very
little effort.
However I noticed that caching block mantains a copy of the cache in memory
Server, because are very large data that I mantain in cache for a lot of
time (about 7 days). Is there any way I can use ONLY the SQL Server
repository instead of in.memory AND Sql Server?

thanks

2 Answers

Cowboy

The idea behind cache, as MS has it, is to save time getting information by
putting it in memory. SQL is there as a backup, but it is not designed to be
a primary mechanism, as SQL retrievals are slower than memory. If you want
to store long term temporary infomration in SQL and not really cache,
consider rolling your own mechanism rather than use the MS cache bits, as
you are not really caching here.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP: MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Blog:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gre...

| Think Outside the Box! |
"Trapulo" <trapulo2@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I'm developing an asp.net application that is connected to a remote system
> using WCF (wshttp binding). So I want to use a local cache to manage data
> that I receive from remote service.
>
> I'm using caching block from MS application enterprise library 4.1,
> configured to use a SQL Server cache. That's great: it works with very
> little effort.
> However I noticed that caching block mantains a copy of the cache in
> memory (loading all cache when it starts). I want to matain data only in
> SQL Server, because are very large data that I mantain in cache for a lot
> of time (about 7 days). Is there any way I can use ONLY the SQL Server
> repository instead of in.memory AND Sql Server?
>
> thanks

Trapulo

Yes: I need a cache that saves time getting data from remote WCF Server,
instead of saving data from getting data from SQL Server. So SQL is a lot
faster that a remote WCF call and I need a "real cache"...

Is there some ready library I can use someone can suggest? I not want to
write my own code to have a very common scenario...

thanks