microsoft.public.axapta.programming

Sales importing and Lots

Stranta

1/25/2006 5:00:00 PM

When evaluating this software purchase I was told that everything could be
imported.

After purchase, my vendor claims that sales and purchase history canâ??t be
done or is extremely costly if I could even find someone that could do it. I
have tried everyway to import my sales and purchase history with no success.

Finally, I decided to import all the orders headers and lines (83,000, which
took forever) as open orders and invoice them all at the appropriate dates in
AX.

My problem now is that some will invoice and others will not. I get the
error message â??Insufficient inventory transactions with status 'Sales on
order', 'Reserved ordered' and 'Reserved physical'.�.

Also, when I look at item master then â??Inquiry/Lotsâ? I donâ??t see all the
lotâ??s that should be displayed for an item. But the â??Inquiry/Open sales order
line� shows all the records.

Is there a class that I can run to correct these issues? Or could someone
help me to create one?

Thanks,
Stranta
4 Answers

Kyle Alons

Importing sales and purchase order history would involve the reconstruction
of the audit trail.

How are you going to do that?

As well as sales and purchase order data, you would need to reconstruct
inventory movements. Do you know what these were? Do you know how the
financial values were written down against the ledger when the inventory
movements were updated? Do you know which issues were fulfilled from which
receipts and when?

JFB Smoggy.

"Stranta" <Stranta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When evaluating this software purchase I was told that everything could be
> imported.
>
> After purchase, my vendor claims that sales and purchase history can't be
> done or is extremely costly if I could even find someone that could do it.
> have tried everyway to import my sales and purchase history with no
> success.
>
> Finally, I decided to import all the orders headers and lines (83,000,
> which
> took forever) as open orders and invoice them all at the appropriate dates
> in
> AX.
>
> My problem now is that some will invoice and others will not. I get the
> error message "Insufficient inventory transactions with status 'Sales on
> order', 'Reserved ordered' and 'Reserved physical'.".
>
> Also, when I look at item master then "Inquiry/Lots" I don't see all the
> lot's that should be displayed for an item. But the "Inquiry/Open sales
> order
> line" shows all the records.
>
> Is there a class that I can run to correct these issues? Or could someone
> help me to create one?
>
> Thanks,
> Stranta

Allan Wallis

When you refer to sales and purchase history, what do you actually mean?

We have produced a number of solutions for importing history - let me know
what you want to achieve and I will try and help

"Stranta" wrote:

> When evaluating this software purchase I was told that everything could be
> imported.
>
> After purchase, my vendor claims that sales and purchase history canâ??t be
> done or is extremely costly if I could even find someone that could do it. I
> have tried everyway to import my sales and purchase history with no success.
>
> Finally, I decided to import all the orders headers and lines (83,000, which
> took forever) as open orders and invoice them all at the appropriate dates in
> AX.
>
> My problem now is that some will invoice and others will not. I get the
> error message â??Insufficient inventory transactions with status 'Sales on
> order', 'Reserved ordered' and 'Reserved physical'.�.
>
> Also, when I look at item master then â??Inquiry/Lotsâ? I donâ??t see all the
> lotâ??s that should be displayed for an item. But the â??Inquiry/Open sales order
> line� shows all the records.
>
> Is there a class that I can run to correct these issues? Or could someone
> help me to create one?
>
> Thanks,
> Stranta

KS

The problem is not that you can not import the data per se, there is no
technical reason why you can not import such data into your Axapta tables as
you have been informed before your purchase - but the problem is rather
managing the complexity and it get it to work correctly when you as you state
wish to import history - which is why it is not recommened. For example, in
your example you are getting errors which are caused by missing records in
the inventtrans table. The inventtranstable needs these records to link to
your saleslines, and at least these records needs to be inserted and linked
correctly before you can begin to do the invoice.

Keep in mind everytime you create a new salesline, a record is
simultaneously inserted in the inventtrans table. In order at least not to
get these errormessages you therefore need to run a script that creates these
inventtrans records with a link to your sales/purchase lines - but, even this
might not be sufficient, because when you work with sales/purchase orders,
you create a lot of transactions in a lot of tables which you got to keep in
mind are created correctly - think of all the relations there. I agree in
principle with Your approach about invoicing the orders after the import
basically is right, because at least that will address creating records in
for example ledger and custtrans, but as you have already noticed here, even
when invoicing certain updates can in principle go wrong, as you can see here
with inventtrans. Then as already mentioned, what about movements, status on
the orders, delivered, picked?, reserved etc, etc, how is this going to be
addressed ?.

Eg. a lot of tables really need to be correctly updated to make this
feasible and also consider the potential problematic implications if you had
a mix of 'imported' orders and orders which have been created 'normally'. I
would not recommed to have this mixture, and definantly not if you have not
closed all your financial years - and even then I am not so sure it is a good
idea, at least due to performance reasons. But, if you still wish to go ahead
with this, perhaps it would be an idea that you create a new company just for
historical transactions and then the user can for example switch to these via
an icon on the desktop which opens up the right company, they can then
inquire for the orders histories through this.

"Allan Wallis" wrote:

> When you refer to sales and purchase history, what do you actually mean?
>
> We have produced a number of solutions for importing history - let me know
> what you want to achieve and I will try and help
>
> "Stranta" wrote:
>
> > When evaluating this software purchase I was told that everything could be
> > imported.
> >
> > After purchase, my vendor claims that sales and purchase history canâ??t be
> > done or is extremely costly if I could even find someone that could do it. I
> > have tried everyway to import my sales and purchase history with no success.
> >
> > Finally, I decided to import all the orders headers and lines (83,000, which
> > took forever) as open orders and invoice them all at the appropriate dates in
> > AX.
> >
> > My problem now is that some will invoice and others will not. I get the
> > error message â??Insufficient inventory transactions with status 'Sales on
> > order', 'Reserved ordered' and 'Reserved physical'.�.
> >
> > Also, when I look at item master then â??Inquiry/Lotsâ? I donâ??t see all the
> > lotâ??s that should be displayed for an item. But the â??Inquiry/Open sales order
> > line� shows all the records.
> >
> > Is there a class that I can run to correct these issues? Or could someone
> > help me to create one?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Stranta

Stranta

Thank you all for giving of your time and knowledge in the replies.

I am not clear about all of the aspects of what you have mentioned however.
>> Things like, movements, status on the orders, delivered, picked, reserved etc, etc, how is this going to be addressed ?.

I do understand these parameters but I donâ??t know the relation in my
situation.
Basically, we have not set our beginning balance or ran any transaction
through production. My issue that I had with the InventTrans and lot IDâ??s
have now been resolved. I just had to clean it out and import them again with
a higher lotid number on the sales lines.

I just need the sales history into the system for trend and analysis
purposes. I donâ??t need financial data or inventory movement history between
warehouses, etc. I would select an alternate company but I donâ??t want to
always have to report from multiple companies. As I mentioned this history
data is very important to us and is used on almost every report for trends.

My Proposed path:
ALL (Every Mondule) of my posting profiles are set to a conversion GL
account 99999.
â??Do not stopâ? on check of customers credit in AR parameters is updated.
All of my periods are created and opened back to 1999.
Physical negative is allowed on inventory groups.
Turn off other dimension requirements, just leave warehouse.
Not using any type of auto reservation.

Import: From what I can tell this is exactly like keying the order into AX
only faster.
* Sales history header and lines are imported via the excel import. This
creates the Inventtrans record.
* Warehouse is specified on the order header excel file prior to import.

After import clean up any address issues such as zip codes and counties.
Warehouse is specified on the order lines within AX prior to invoicing.
The sales order is invoiced at the appropriate date.
Post a cycle count to clear inventory back to 0 in all warehouses.
Post ledgers to the customerâ??s accounts to clear the outstanding balance.
Close all periods except current.
Change all conversion posting profiles, etc back to the proper settings.
Set beginning balance, Post customers aging invoices, Movement journals to
set inventory on hand.
Start using the product.

I will begin following these above mentioned steps this week as time is
running out for this phase.
If anyone has any issues that I should watch out for then please help.

Thanks,
Stranta