microsoft.public.axapta.programming

accesing axapta forms from c#

PacMan

1/5/2006 1:16:00 AM

greetings and a happy new year to all!

Is is possible to access Axapta forms (to display and enter data in the
fields) from another language, say C#.net?

I understand that the Business Connector is really the kernel without the
user interface, so how do we access the interface?

Please show some sample code, if it is not too much of a problem.

Thanks.
4 Answers

Luegisdorf

Hi Pacman

And of course a happy new your to you too!

Axapta's COM Component is not able to run a forms, you have to build your
own forms in your langauge where you access the COM (say c#.net).

You could read the AOT definition of a form trough the Axapta COM and build
a new form in c# at runtime. But I think the efforts to programm a c# axapta
form parser is to big in terms to give the user a interface. The easier way
is to build up a customized form in your third party IDE.

That's the situation in Axpata 3.0. I know that Axapta 4.0 cames with a .NET
assembly, but I don't know if the functionality is equal to the current COM
Component or even a little bit more...

Hope this helps.

Best regards
Patrick

"PacMan" wrote:

> greetings and a happy new year to all!
>
> Is is possible to access Axapta forms (to display and enter data in the
> fields) from another language, say C#.net?
>
> I understand that the Business Connector is really the kernel without the
> user interface, so how do we access the interface?
>
> Please show some sample code, if it is not too much of a problem.
>
> Thanks.

PacMan

Hi Luegisdorf,

Thank you, that was very informative. I do have a couple more questions, to
clarify things.

Does this mean that one is not able to run/show/display an Axapta form from
C#?
Similarly, is one able to 1) run Axapta jobs 2) have access to user-defined
Axapta classes and 3) have access to Axapta system classes?

Regards,
PM

"Luegisdorf" wrote:

> Hi Pacman
>
> And of course a happy new your to you too!
>
> Axapta's COM Component is not able to run a forms, you have to build your
> own forms in your langauge where you access the COM (say c#.net).
>
> You could read the AOT definition of a form trough the Axapta COM and build
> a new form in c# at runtime. But I think the efforts to programm a c# axapta
> form parser is to big in terms to give the user a interface. The easier way
> is to build up a customized form in your third party IDE.
>
> That's the situation in Axpata 3.0. I know that Axapta 4.0 cames with a .NET
> assembly, but I don't know if the functionality is equal to the current COM
> Component or even a little bit more...
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Best regards
> Patrick
>
> "PacMan" wrote:
>
> > greetings and a happy new year to all!
> >
> > Is is possible to access Axapta forms (to display and enter data in the
> > fields) from another language, say C#.net?
> >
> > I understand that the Business Connector is really the kernel without the
> > user interface, so how do we access the interface?
> >
> > Please show some sample code, if it is not too much of a problem.
> >
> > Thanks.

Luegisdorf

Hi Pacman

In Version 3.0 it's definitly not possible to run a axpata form directly
with the COM Component.

And to your further questions:
1) jobs: you can execute them without problems trough COM
2) self made classes (f.ex. in usr layer): you can use/execute them without
problems trough COM*
3) other classes (including kernel classes): you can use/execute them
without problems trough COM*

* except the code inside the classes run's dialogs (f.ex. as many RunBase
classes uses a prompt dialog), message boxes, reports to screen or even calls
forms. In this case the call to Axapta's COM Component will fail.

Hope this helps you. If you start your project with Axapta 4.0, think it
would make sense to ask at Microsoft what the possiblities of the new
improved .NET-Assembly are (may be the Assembly has more possibilites than
the COM Component).

Best regards
Patrick

"PacMan" wrote:

> Hi Luegisdorf,
>
> Thank you, that was very informative. I do have a couple more questions, to
> clarify things.
>
> Does this mean that one is not able to run/show/display an Axapta form from
> C#?
> Similarly, is one able to 1) run Axapta jobs 2) have access to user-defined
> Axapta classes and 3) have access to Axapta system classes?
>
> Regards,
> PM
>

> "Luegisdorf" wrote:
>
> > Hi Pacman
> >
> > And of course a happy new your to you too!
> >
> > Axapta's COM Component is not able to run a forms, you have to build your
> > own forms in your langauge where you access the COM (say c#.net).
> >
> > You could read the AOT definition of a form trough the Axapta COM and build
> > a new form in c# at runtime. But I think the efforts to programm a c# axapta
> > form parser is to big in terms to give the user a interface. The easier way
> > is to build up a customized form in your third party IDE.
> >
> > That's the situation in Axpata 3.0. I know that Axapta 4.0 cames with a .NET
> > assembly, but I don't know if the functionality is equal to the current COM
> > Component or even a little bit more...
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Patrick
> >
> > "PacMan" wrote:
> >
> > > greetings and a happy new year to all!
> > >
> > > Is is possible to access Axapta forms (to display and enter data in the
> > > fields) from another language, say C#.net?
> > >
> > > I understand that the Business Connector is really the kernel without the
> > > user interface, so how do we access the interface?
> > >
> > > Please show some sample code, if it is not too much of a problem.
> > >
> > > Thanks.

PacMan

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your help and insight.