microsoft.public.axapta.programming

How to distribute a changed langugae file?

Henke

12/28/2005 10:38:00 AM

Hi
Which files needs to be copied to a runtime environment to have the labels
updated?

Thanks in advance!
/Henke

7 Answers

koffidan

Hi

If your label-file is called TST, then you want to copy all the following
files:

axTST*.alc
axTST*.ald
axTST*.ali

I would advice you to close Axapta and the AOS server while doing it, and if
it's a new label-file create first before you copy the files.

Regards

--
Koffidan

http://ww...

"Henke" wrote:

> Hi
> Which files needs to be copied to a runtime environment to have the labels
> updated?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> /Henke

Henke

Thanks Koffidan, but how does Axapta (in the runtime environment) that it
should use axTST* instead of axSYS*?

/Henke

"koffidan" <koffidan@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi
>
> If your label-file is called TST, then you want to copy all the following
> files:
>
> axTST*.alc
> axTST*.ald
> axTST*.ali
>
> I would advice you to close Axapta and the AOS server while doing it, and
> if
> it's a new label-file create first before you copy the files.
>

> Regards
>
> --
> Koffidan
>
> http://ww...
>

> "Henke" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Which files needs to be copied to a runtime environment to have the
>> labels
>> updated?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>> /Henke

hghrp

Hi Henke,

labels are stored in files called Ax{label-prefix}{language}.ald
so for language en-us, label-prefix HHH (labels @HHH1 - @HHH999) it is
called AxHHHen-us.ald

you may copy the files from one application to another, and Axapta recreates
..alc and .ali (label index)
if you are using AOS (3-tier), you have to restart it

another (and mostly better) way is to export your project with labels
(checkbox at lower left in the export dialog)

the problem with copying the .ald file is, labels are written to that file
not immediately after creation within Axapta, you have to stop the AOS before
and the check if the .ald file is complete

Hth,
harald

"Henke" wrote:

> Hi
> Which files needs to be copied to a runtime environment to have the labels
> updated?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> /Henke

Henke

Thanks again Harald!
But how does Axata know that it should read the labels from AxHHHsv.ald
instead of AxSYSsv.ald when I copy it to my second installation?
And a second question why should I create a new labelfile in the first place
and not just edit the AxSYSsv.ald-file?
/Henke

"hghrp" <hghrp@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi Henke,
>
> labels are stored in files called Ax{label-prefix}{language}.ald
> so for language en-us, label-prefix HHH (labels @HHH1 - @HHH999) it is
> called AxHHHen-us.ald
>
> you may copy the files from one application to another, and Axapta
> recreates
> .alc and .ali (label index)
> if you are using AOS (3-tier), you have to restart it
>
> another (and mostly better) way is to export your project with labels
> (checkbox at lower left in the export dialog)
>
> the problem with copying the .ald file is, labels are written to that file
> not immediately after creation within Axapta, you have to stop the AOS
> before
> and the check if the .ald file is complete
>
> Hth,
> harald
>
> "Henke" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Which files needs to be copied to a runtime environment to have the
>> labels
>> updated?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>> /Henke

koffidan

Hi

To your questions:
1) You tell Axapta which label to use by using the labels in the code, on
menu items, on EDT, etc. Axapta only looks up the label.

2) This is really a best practice discussion.
Technically there is nothing wrong done by using the SYS label files.
I always create a new label file if I need to add or change labels. I do
this for many reasons. One of them is, that I don't want to change the
standard Axapta unless I have to and this makes it easy when you upgrade your
installation. You know where all the customized labels are.

Regards
--
Koffidan

http://ww...

"Henke" wrote:

> Thanks again Harald!
> But how does Axata know that it should read the labels from AxHHHsv.ald
> instead of AxSYSsv.ald when I copy it to my second installation?
> And a second question why should I create a new labelfile in the first place
> and not just edit the AxSYSsv.ald-file?
> /Henke
>
> "hghrp" <hghrp@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > Hi Henke,
> >
> > labels are stored in files called Ax{label-prefix}{language}.ald
> > so for language en-us, label-prefix HHH (labels @HHH1 - @HHH999) it is
> > called AxHHHen-us.ald
> >
> > you may copy the files from one application to another, and Axapta
> > recreates
> > .alc and .ali (label index)
> > if you are using AOS (3-tier), you have to restart it
> >
> > another (and mostly better) way is to export your project with labels
> > (checkbox at lower left in the export dialog)
> >
> > the problem with copying the .ald file is, labels are written to that file
> > not immediately after creation within Axapta, you have to stop the AOS
> > before
> > and the check if the .ald file is complete
> >
> > Hth,
> > harald
> >
> > "Henke" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> Which files needs to be copied to a runtime environment to have the
> >> labels
> >> updated?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance!
> >> /Henke

hghrp

Hi Henke,

to clarify:
> But how does Axata know that it should read the labels from AxHHHsv.ald
> instead of AxSYSsv.ald when I copy it to my second installation?
the label file selected depends on the prefix of the label, if you use a
label @SYS4711, it is located in AxSYSsv.ald, label @HHH123 is in AxHHHsv.ald

> And a second question why should I create a new labelfile in the first place
> and not just edit the AxSYSsv.ald-file?
because if Microsoft adds new labels to the AxSYSsv.ald, they will have the
same numbers as yours, and your labels will be overwritten

you can edit the label files with notepad.exe, they are simple text files,
but keep in mind that the AOS does not write changed labels back very often,
so that file may be incomplete ==> stop the AOS and check the label file
before editing it

New Year's Greetings from Austria to Sweden,
harald

Freed0376

"hghrp" wrote:

> Hi Henke,
>
> labels are stored in files called Ax{label-prefix}{language}.ald
> so for language en-us, label-prefix HHH (labels @HHH1 - @HHH999) it is
> called AxHHHen-us.ald
>
> you may copy the files from one application to another, and Axapta recreates
> .alc and .ali (label index)
> if you are using AOS (3-tier), you have to restart it

Hello,
I've got to copy some labelfiles to a customer application, but the files
are incomplete. Even stopping and starting the AOS doesn't help.
Is there any possibility to force a "label-flushing" into the files?