Sam Santiago

8/30/2004 4:39:00 PM

This article has some numbers to look at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/bdadotnet...

--
_______________________________
Sam Santiago
"David Palmer via .NET 247" <anonymous@dotnet247.com> wrote in message
> Are there any hard limits to the number of clients that can be supported
by a single server application using Remoting?

> -----------------------
> Posted by a user from .NET 247 (http://www.dotn...)
>
> <Id>MKWbzQgFfUW32nJfVS8WAQ==</Id>

14 Answers

PATRICK

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 16:54:58 -0500, Tom McDonald <kiltmac@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 7/11/2013 3:50 PM, Jason wrote:

>> going to be
>> that person

>> frequently.

>>> Don't know. I do know that it would wind up with more accidental deaths
>>> and deaths from people carrying who shot someone out of anger instead of
>>> merely punching them in the face.
>>
>> I'll try again:
>>
>> Would a city have more first degree murders or less first degree murders
>> if it was very easy for law abiding citizens to easily get concealed carry
>> permits?
>>

>More.

Using cross-sectional time-series data for U.S. counties from 1977 to
1992, we find that allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons deters
violent crimes and it appears to produce no increase in accidental
deaths. If those states which did not have right-to-carry concealed
gun provisions had adopted them in 1992, approximately 1,570 murders;
4,177 rapes; and over 60,000 aggravate assaults would have been
avoided yearly.
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/files/41.lott_....

When looking at statistics in Texas alone:
The explanation for the obviously enormous gulf between robbery and
rape against murder and assault is quite simple: when somebody uses a
gun in Texas, lawfully or not, they get arrested. If a permit holder
kills or wounds an attacker, he or she gets arrested. Therefore the
assault and murder arrest rates would appear to include quite a high
percentage of incidents of permit holders using their weapons lawfully
in self-defense. It would be far more accurate to base a study on
conviction rates, but there is not yet enough of this information for
it to be statistically significant. However, even with the odds
stacked against them statistically, permit holders still come out a
lot better than the general public.5 The assertion that permit
holders, overall, are "quite a law-abiding bunch" is obviously true.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/64...

Free Lunch

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 23:45:32 -0700, Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in
alt.atheism:

>In article <t2dut8lu59r7ie4evl6knumqj8j863f109@4ax.com>, Attila
><<prochoice@here.now> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 13:24:36 -0500, Tom McDonald <kiltmac@gmail.com>
>> in alt.abortion with message-id <krmsul$dtu$2@dont-email.me> wrote:

>> >3. It makes you feel like a big man.
>>
>> No, but it would make me feel safer. I would prefer not to be
>> involved in the resulting hassle.
>>
>> >4. If you are human, it is likely to make you, in the long run, feel bad
>> >about killing a human being you didn't have to kill.
>>
>> There is no way to know whether it absolutely necessary or not. It
>> would not bother me a bit.
>
>Every time that I read about a home invasion where innocent people were
>murdered by the home invaders, my first thought would be that the
>situation may have been different if one of the parents had been able to
>pull out a handgun and shoot the home invaders. At the very least, they
>would have a fighting chance to stay alive. If they don't have a gun to
>defend themselves, they will very likely end up dead or seriously injured.
>This is an example of such a story:
>
><http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19957752/ns/msnbc/t/history-vio...

How many children have been shot in homes that keep such guns for
'self-defense'?

duke

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 07:58:53 -0500, Mitchell Holman <nomailverizon.net> wrote:

>Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in
>

>> Answer this question:
>>
>> Would a city have more crime or less crime if it was very easy for law
>> abiding citizens to easily get concealed carry permits?
>

> Cities do not issue gun permits, states do.
>
> And the worst state for murder is that haven
>of gun permits, Louisiana.
>
>http://www.nbcnews.com/business/most-least-safe-states-amer...

Then why is Detroit and Chicago the murder capitals of the country.

The dukester, American - American

Repeal Obama - most impotent president ever.
Five major US scandals and still going strong:
a)Fast/Furious,b)IRS,c)NSA d)News Phone Records,
e)Selective enforcement of environmental laws

duke

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 11:55:29 -0500, Tom McDonald <kiltmac@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 7/11/2013 1:34 AM, Jason wrote:

>> has a key to
>> would not ask
>> told them.

>> without

>>> I don't have a problem with people owning guns. I don't even have a
>>> problem with open or concealed carry--IFF the gun owners so carrying
>>> have been adequately trained in as-realistic-as-possible shoot/don't
>>> shoot scenarios, and keep their training up and are re-certified frequently.
>>>
>>> My problem is that, in too many states, it is too easy to get a CCW
>>> permit in the first place, without what I consider to be adequate
>>> training and certification.
>>>
>>> As to why folks carry concealed, I expect there are a number of reasons.
>>> But all of them come down to fear that they might need to kill someone
>>> and wouldn't be able to easily. (Notice I don't say that never happens.
>>> I do say it happens far less frequently than a lot of gun owners I know
>>> believe it does.)
>>

>> Answer this question:
>>
>> Would a city have more crime or less crime if it was very easy for law
>> abiding citizens to easily get concealed carry permits?
>>

>Don't know. I do know that it would wind up with more accidental deaths
>and deaths from people carrying who shot someone out of anger instead of
>merely punching them in the face.

People of God think before shooting.

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 16:48:07 -0700, Jeanne Douglas <hlwdjsd2@NOSPAMgmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <nd0tt81el74mspiorjofnd96fblf2l4jbo@4ax.com>,
> Attila <<prochoice@here.now> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 21:31:02 -0500, Tom McDonald <kiltmac@gmail.com>
>> in alt.abortion with message-id <krl52o$2br$2@dont-email.me> wrote:

>> >So you would shoot someone in the back who posed you no danger?
>>
>> If he is in my house uninvited I would consider myself to be in
>> considerable danger.
>
>We're not talking about someone in your house. The person you say you
>would shoot in the back is FLEEING from your house, not in your house
>any more, no longer a threat.

NOt if he hasn't left the door yet?

The dukester, American - American

Repeal Obama - most impotent president ever.
Five major US scandals and still going strong:
a)Fast/Furious,b)IRS,c)NSA d)News Phone Records,
e)Selective enforcement of environmental laws

Mitchell Holman

duke <duckgumbo32@cox.net> wrote in

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 07:58:53 -0500, Mitchell Holman
> <nomailverizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in
>>

>>> Answer this question:
>>>
>>> Would a city have more crime or less crime if it was very easy for
>>> law abiding citizens to easily get concealed carry permits?
>>

>> Cities do not issue gun permits, states do.
>>
>> And the worst state for murder is that haven
>>of gun permits, Louisiana.
>>
>>http://www.nbcnews.com/business/most-least-safe-states-amer...
>
> Then why is Detroit and Chicago the murder capitals of the country.

And the gun-totin' South leads the country in murders.

Jason

In article <2qvvt8l1gq1j0l5cp5kn47sugl5q8ej9gd@4ax.com>, Free Lunch
<lunch@nofreelunch.us> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 23:45:32 -0700, Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in
> alt.atheism:
>
> >In article <t2dut8lu59r7ie4evl6knumqj8j863f109@4ax.com>, Attila
> ><<prochoice@here.now> wrote:

> >> No, but it would make me feel safer. I would prefer not to be
> >> involved in the resulting hassle.

> >> There is no way to know whether it absolutely necessary or not. It
> >> would not bother me a bit.
> >
> >Every time that I read about a home invasion where innocent people were
> >murdered by the home invaders, my first thought would be that the
> >situation may have been different if one of the parents had been able to
> >pull out a handgun and shoot the home invaders. At the very least, they
> >would have a fighting chance to stay alive. If they don't have a gun to
> >defend themselves, they will very likely end up dead or seriously injured.
> >This is an example of such a story:
> >
> ><http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19957752/ns/msnbc/t/history-vio...
> >
> How many children have been shot in homes that keep such guns for
> 'self-defense'?

My guess: far less than the number of children that have died in car accidents.

Tom McDonald

On 7/12/2013 5:16 AM, Jeanne Douglas wrote:
> In article <v6evt8tqgaebuppscscuubamcv7ourivkv@4ax.com>,
> Attila <<prochoice@here.now> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 16:48:07 -0700, Jeanne Douglas
>> <hlwdjsd2@NOSPAMgmail.com> in alt.abortion with message-id
>> <hlwdjsd2-0E97A0.16480711072013@news.giganews.com> wrote:

>>> We're not talking about someone in your house. The person you say you
>>> would shoot in the back is FLEEING from your house, not in your house
>>> any more, no longer a threat.
>>
>> That would be an unlikely case, and what is to stop them from either
>> stopping and retuning or returning at a later date?
>>
>> I really don't like these 'what if' situations because the details can
>> be manipulated in such a way to set up just about anything.
>
> There's no manipulation here. It couldn't possibly be more
> straightforward.
>
> You would should a person in the back who was not in your home.

He has also told us that he thought about all this long ago and came up
with his plan, so his sudden aversion to 'what-if' situations is not
believable.

Tom McDonald

On 7/12/2013 6:27 AM, PATRICK wrote:
> Tom McDonald <kiltmac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Friday?s horrible shooting in Colorado occurred in yet another place
>>> where guns are banned. And that?s consistent with a trend: With a
>>> single exception, every multiple-victim public shooting in the U.S. in
>>> which more than three people have been killed since at least 1950 has
>>> taken place where citizens are not allowed to carry their own
>>> firearms. The Cinemark movie theater in Aurora, like others run by
>>> the chain around the country, displayed warning signs that it was
>>> illegal to carry guns into the theater.
>>> Read more:
>>> http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/concealed-weapons-save-lives-article-1.1121161#ixz...
>>>
>> If so, so what? The fact is that more people are killed by guns in
>> gun-loving states than in other states with saner gun laws.
>
> Which states have "saner" gun laws?
> What do you consider to be a "sane" gun law?
> Where I grew up, most trucks in the high school parking lot had gun
> racks in the back window. Most vehicles had windows cracked and doors
> unlocked.

Cool! I would like a couple-few free guns. Where can I find this
situation today?

Tom McDonald

On 7/12/2013 6:37 AM, PATRICK wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 16:54:58 -0500, Tom McDonald <kiltmac@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> going to be
>>> that person

>>> frequently.

>>> I'll try again:
>>>
>>> Would a city have more first degree murders or less first degree murders
>>> if it was very easy for law abiding citizens to easily get concealed carry
>>> permits?
>>>

>> More.
>
> Using cross-sectional time-series data for U.S. counties from 1977 to
> 1992, we find that allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons deters
> violent crimes and it appears to produce no increase in accidental
> deaths. If those states which did not have right-to-carry concealed
> gun provisions had adopted them in 1992, approximately 1,570 murders;
> 4,177 rapes; and over 60,000 aggravate assaults would have been
> avoided yearly.
> http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/files/41.lott_....
>
> When looking at statistics in Texas alone:
> The explanation for the obviously enormous gulf between robbery and
> rape against murder and assault is quite simple: when somebody uses a
> gun in Texas, lawfully or not, they get arrested. If a permit holder
> kills or wounds an attacker, he or she gets arrested. Therefore the
> assault and murder arrest rates would appear to include quite a high
> percentage of incidents of permit holders using their weapons lawfully
> in self-defense. It would be far more accurate to base a study on
> conviction rates, but there is not yet enough of this information for
> it to be statistically significant. However, even with the odds
> stacked against them statistically, permit holders still come out a
> lot better than the general public.5 The assertion that permit
> holders, overall, are "quite a law-abiding bunch" is obviously true.
> http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/64...

OK, you have convinced me. The government, at all levels, must make sure
that every American has a weapon and ammo for it, and must carry at all
times.

There can, of course, be no limitation based on age, mental condition,
physical condition, felony status (in fact, prisoners in prison must be
armed, as prisons are some of the most dangerous places in the US), or
stated willingness to use a gun to kill others or one's self.

Right? The 2nd Amendment is absolute, right? No stupid caveats like with
the 1st, 4th, 5th, etc. Right?

All gun control is illegal, according to the Constitution; and the
Government has the duty to assure everyone has a gun, whether they want
to or not. And if a citizen gives his/her gun away, the government must
give them another right away.

Right?