Channel relationship to RegisterWellKnownServiceType

Alex Maghen

8/28/2004 1:33:00 AM

I'm confused about the relationship between Channels and Registered Well
Known Service Types.

Many of the sampes I've seen for Remoting server applications show the
following code for starting up the availability of a class to other
applications:

HttpChannel channel = new HttpChannel(8100);
ChannelServices.RegisterChannel(channel);

RemotingConfiguration.RegisterWellKnownServiceType(
typeof(ExposedClass),
"ExposedClass.soap",
WellKnownObjectMode.Singleton);

The first 2 lines create and "Register" a Channel. The NEXT line, Registers
a Well Kknow Service Type. But that RegisterWellKnownServiceType() call
doesn't take the newly created Channel as a parameter or anything. So how are
they connected to one another? If you've created a Channel on port 8100, what
does that have to do with the registration of a Well KNown Service Type?

Alex
4 Answers

Sam Santiago

A channel is a communication mechanism. You can register a well known type
without having a registered channel, but then you'll have no way to
communicate with it. You won't get a compile error or even a runtime error
on the server side, but when a client tries to connect to it an exception
will be thrown such as:

System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: This remoting proxy has no
channel sink which means either the server has no registered server channels
that are listening, or this application has no suitable client channel to
talk to the server.

The Application Domain is the "container" for both. An App domain must have
a channel registered in order to communicate with other App domains. Well
known objects are objects that are accessible in an App domain via a known
URI. So in your typical URL:

http://myserver:port/MyObjectURI

the first part, http://myserver:port are strictly communication related -
protocol, destination server, and port (which will indirectly identify the
App domain) and the last part, MyObjectURI, is the URI for your remotely
available object. So without a registered channel your App domain cannot
communicate outside of its boundaries.

Check out this link:

Remoting Architecture
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconnetremotingarchit...

Thanks,

Sam
--
_______________________________
Sam Santiago
"Alex Maghen" <AlexMaghen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm confused about the relationship between Channels and Registered Well
> Known Service Types.
>
> Many of the sampes I've seen for Remoting server applications show the
> following code for starting up the availability of a class to other
> applications:
>
> HttpChannel channel = new HttpChannel(8100);
> ChannelServices.RegisterChannel(channel);
>
> RemotingConfiguration.RegisterWellKnownServiceType(
> typeof(ExposedClass),
> "ExposedClass.soap",
> WellKnownObjectMode.Singleton);
>
> The first 2 lines create and "Register" a Channel. The NEXT line,
Registers
> a Well Kknow Service Type. But that RegisterWellKnownServiceType() call
> doesn't take the newly created Channel as a parameter or anything. So how
are
> they connected to one another? If you've created a Channel on port 8100,
what
> does that have to do with the registration of a Well KNown Service Type?
>
> Alex

Pepsi

"Zor-El of Argo City" <Tromboneboy74@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Outside of her electoral successes, consider this.
>
> At the GOP Convtenion, Gov.Palin delivered a well-received acceptance
> speech.

???????????? Propaganda, prepared (by professionals - weeks in advanced)
presented for a gigantic, one party, affair say nothing about the person who
"reads" the speech.
The "broken teleprompter" has been brought up before - yet no one has ever
provided a cite or honest reference for that claim.

There was a short period of time when conservtive republicans blew a lot of
smoke about Obama using a teleprompter - yet - ever since it was invented -
just about every speech maker - republican or democrat - used them.

Not exactly an area where republican honesty shines.

When she read the crib notes written on her palm - that blew away ANY claim
about memorizing, and presenting, the acceptance speech.

> Wha wasn't known until later was that her Teleprompter died just as she
> started speaking.
>
> She delivered her entire speech from memory.
>
> Let's see the current pResident do that!

I don't know if Obqama could or not ............. and neither do you.
I do not know if Palin did that - because all I ever see about it is
mindless republican beloowed claims.

Either way - poilitical speeches mean nothing, as far as the intelligence or
quality of the person behind the microphone.

It's just another example of Palin supporters reaching, and distorting, far
and wide to find any way to polish a sewer based candidate.

> --
> -- "When the roll is called in the Senate, the Senators don't know
> whether to answer "Present" or "Not Guilty"."-- Theodore Roosevelt

webster72n

"ray" wrote in message news:ijqu2q01eee@news4.newsguy.com...

In article <8161-4D60A97A-6197@storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net>,
Tromboneboy74@webtv.net (Zor-El of Argo City) wrote:

> Outside of her electoral successes, consider this.
>
> At the GOP Convtenion, Gov.Palin delivered a well-received acceptance
> speech.
>
> Wha wasn't known until later was that her Teleprompter died just as she
> started speaking.
>
> She delivered her entire speech from memory.
>
> Let's see the current pResident do that!

Most every politician has their flubs, but only the conservative flubs
are amplified by the media. The left has been somewhat successful at
labeling right as stupid. It's been going on my entire life. Reagan,
Ford, Limbaugh, Beck, Palin, Nixon, Joe the Plumber, you name it.

To include 'Limbaugh' in your parade of names proves your
incompetence. <H>.

But when Biden asks a crippled man in a wheelchair to stand up and take
a bow, or a Democrat makes claims that sharks still travel the water
path of slave boats since they used to throw slaves overboard so the
sharks could eat them, the media focuses on something else. Recently, we
had a Democrat politician make claims that Haiti could flip upside down
because of too much weight on one side of the island.

I remember years ago when Rush was joking about the lefts claim that
Republicans want senior citizens to starve. So he did this bit about
sending his mother a can opener for her birthday so she can open up her
cans of dog food to eat. A humorless Democrat politician actually took
his words to the floor of the house. She thought he was serious. Never
made the news or media except for conservative broadcasting.

--
Barock Insane Obama: The greatest joke America ever played on itself.

ray

In article <ijskvp$oqi$1@speranza.aioe.org>,
"webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote:

> "ray" wrote in message news:ijqu2q01eee@news4.newsguy.com...
>
> In article <8161-4D60A97A-6197@storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net>,
> Tromboneboy74@webtv.net (Zor-El of Argo City) wrote:
>
> > Outside of her electoral successes, consider this.
> >
> > At the GOP Convtenion, Gov.Palin delivered a well-received acceptance
> > speech.
> >
> > Wha wasn't known until later was that her Teleprompter died just as she
> > started speaking.
> >
> > She delivered her entire speech from memory.
> >
> > Let's see the current pResident do that!
>
> Most every politician has their flubs, but only the conservative flubs
> are amplified by the media. The left has been somewhat successful at
> labeling right as stupid. It's been going on my entire life. Reagan,
> Ford, Limbaugh, Beck, Palin, Nixon, Joe the Plumber, you name it.
>
> To include 'Limbaugh' in your parade of names proves your
> incompetence.

Not being able to use quotes or use your reader correctly proves yours.

--
Barock Insane Obama: The greatest joke America ever played on itself.