HOW TO: Create a single DataSet bound object used by 50 DropDownList box controls in the same web form. CSHARP

Bill

3/1/2004 1:12:00 PM

I have a seating chart web form that has over 50 entry field controls
(tables/booths) where I use a DropDownList box to select a single company
name from a single large list of organizations (200 plus conference
attendees). All web form datavalues will be one of the same 200
organizations in this list. I would like to avoid creating 50 separate exact
copies of the same DataSet object. Can you help?

Q. Exactly how do I use the same DataSet object in all 50 DropDownList boxes
on my web form with out creating it 49 more times? Isn't there a simple
way of "referring to" or "cloning" or binding each of the 50 web controls to
the same (single dataset created by a single db query).

1 Answer

Bill

Essentially, what I have here is 50 booth table row entrees (boot ID,
location, assigned company).

What I really would like here is the function of an "editable" datagrid
control (with dropdown list boxes of course) AND a "none grid" like display
(freely displayed/placed over a floor & booth diagram).

Is there anyway I can easily enjoy the best of both worlds? The efficiency
of handling datasets using a datagrid kind of control and the flexibility of
data display unrestricted to a column and row format.