Raise an event in the client from the server

zorhel

8/24/2004 12:13:00 PM

Hi.
How can I raise an event in a specific client, or in all clients, not using
thread, in a web application using asp.net?
The .net remoting works in this case? How? I can't understand yet!
Someone have any example?

Thanks in advance.

Zorhel

8 Answers

Ken Kolda

If this is just a plain, vanilla ASP.NET web application, then you're
probably going the wrong direction looking at .NET remoting. If you know
that your clients will use IE and have .NET installed, then you can consider
writing a .NET component which IE would download and run to communicate with
your server via remoting, but at this point your app is less of a "web
application" and more of a .NET app deployed via web browser.

If you can clarify what your intent is and how your app is architected,
someone here can probably provide more advice.

Ken

"zorhel" <zorhel@zorhel.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> How can I raise an event in a specific client, or in all clients, not
using
> thread, in a web application using asp.net?
> The .net remoting works in this case? How? I can't understand yet!
> Someone have any example?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Zorhel

zorhel

Ken, thanks for the answer, but my clients will be IE, Mozilla and Opera in
a Windows and *nix OS.

So, my web app need to, from a server, send messages to a specific client
(browser), send messages for all clients, redirect a client to another page.
In other way, a client will be able to send messages to another client,
throw the server.

These are the first funcionalities.

That is it.

Thanks again.

Zorhel

"Ken Kolda" <ken.kolda@elliemae-nospamplease.com> wrote in message
> If this is just a plain, vanilla ASP.NET web application, then you're
> probably going the wrong direction looking at .NET remoting. If you know
> that your clients will use IE and have .NET installed, then you can
> consider
> writing a .NET component which IE would download and run to communicate
> with
> your server via remoting, but at this point your app is less of a "web
> application" and more of a .NET app deployed via web browser.
>
> If you can clarify what your intent is and how your app is architected,
> someone here can probably provide more advice.
>
> Ken
>

> "zorhel" <zorhel@zorhel.com> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>> How can I raise an event in a specific client, or in all clients, not
> using
>> thread, in a web application using asp.net?
>> The .net remoting works in this case? How? I can't understand yet!
>> Someone have any example?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Zorhel

Ken Kolda

In this case, remoting isn't your answer. Because of the disconnected nature
of a web app, the web browser isn't capable of receiving asynchronous events
such as you're referring to (without resorting to plugins, java, etc.).
Instead, you will need to have your clients poll the server for new
messages. That said, this polling can be fairly transparent to the user. For
example, you could have a hidden frame (or IFrame) which you refresh every
10 seconds or so to see if there are any new messages.

Anyway, I'd post your message on the ASP.NET forums since you'll probably
get more help there.

> Ken, thanks for the answer, but my clients will be IE, Mozilla and Opera
in
> a Windows and *nix OS.
>
> So, my web app need to, from a server, send messages to a specific client
> (browser), send messages for all clients, redirect a client to another
page.
> In other way, a client will be able to send messages to another client,
> throw the server.
>
> These are the first funcionalities.
>
> That is it.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Zorhel
>
> "Ken Kolda" <ken.kolda@elliemae-nospamplease.com> wrote in message
> > If this is just a plain, vanilla ASP.NET web application, then you're
> > probably going the wrong direction looking at .NET remoting. If you know
> > that your clients will use IE and have .NET installed, then you can
> > consider
> > writing a .NET component which IE would download and run to communicate
> > with
> > your server via remoting, but at this point your app is less of a "web
> > application" and more of a .NET app deployed via web browser.
> >
> > If you can clarify what your intent is and how your app is architected,
> > someone here can probably provide more advice.
> >
> > Ken
> >

> > "zorhel" <zorhel@zorhel.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi.
> >> How can I raise an event in a specific client, or in all clients, not
> > using
> >> thread, in a web application using asp.net?
> >> The .net remoting works in this case? How? I can't understand yet!
> >> Someone have any example?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Zorhel

zorhel

Ken, thanks again.
I think like you. The same pooling idea.
But my boss told me the app need to be real time.

Well, real time? I just look an java applet for a multiplataform projetc.
Any suggestion?

> In this case, remoting isn't your answer. Because of the disconnected
> nature
> of a web app, the web browser isn't capable of receiving asynchronous
> events
> such as you're referring to (without resorting to plugins, java, etc.).
> Instead, you will need to have your clients poll the server for new
> messages. That said, this polling can be fairly transparent to the user.
> For
> example, you could have a hidden frame (or IFrame) which you refresh every
> 10 seconds or so to see if there are any new messages.
>
> Anyway, I'd post your message on the ASP.NET forums since you'll probably
> get more help there.
>
> Ken
>

> "zorhel" <zorhel@zorhel.com> wrote in message
>> Ken, thanks for the answer, but my clients will be IE, Mozilla and Opera
> in
>> a Windows and *nix OS.
>>
>> So, my web app need to, from a server, send messages to a specific client
>> (browser), send messages for all clients, redirect a client to another
> page.
>> In other way, a client will be able to send messages to another client,
>> throw the server.
>>
>> These are the first funcionalities.
>>
>> That is it.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Zorhel
>>
>> "Ken Kolda" <ken.kolda@elliemae-nospamplease.com> wrote in message
>> > If this is just a plain, vanilla ASP.NET web application, then you're
>> > probably going the wrong direction looking at .NET remoting. If you
>> > know
>> > that your clients will use IE and have .NET installed, then you can
>> > consider
>> > writing a .NET component which IE would download and run to communicate
>> > with
>> > your server via remoting, but at this point your app is less of a "web
>> > application" and more of a .NET app deployed via web browser.
>> >
>> > If you can clarify what your intent is and how your app is architected,
>> > someone here can probably provide more advice.
>> >
>> > Ken
>> >

>> > "zorhel" <zorhel@zorhel.com> wrote in message
>> > using

Ken Kolda

The closest you'll get to real time is with a plugin of some kind (e.g. Java
applet). Your boss should keep in mind that the cost and time to develop and
test such a solution are much, MUCH greater than for writing a web
application that uses polling. Plugin-based apps will run into many more
platform-related issues and require much more sophisticated server-side
implementations.

Good luck -

> Ken, thanks again.
> I think like you. The same pooling idea.
> But my boss told me the app need to be real time.
>
> Well, real time? I just look an java applet for a multiplataform projetc.
> Any suggestion?
>
> Zorhel.
>
> "Ken Kolda" <ken.kolda@elliemae-nospamplease.com> wrote in message
> > In this case, remoting isn't your answer. Because of the disconnected
> > nature
> > of a web app, the web browser isn't capable of receiving asynchronous
> > events
> > such as you're referring to (without resorting to plugins, java, etc.).
> > Instead, you will need to have your clients poll the server for new
> > messages. That said, this polling can be fairly transparent to the user.
> > For
> > example, you could have a hidden frame (or IFrame) which you refresh
every
> > 10 seconds or so to see if there are any new messages.
> >
> > Anyway, I'd post your message on the ASP.NET forums since you'll
probably
> > get more help there.
> >
> > Ken
> >

> > "zorhel" <zorhel@zorhel.com> wrote in message
> >> Ken, thanks for the answer, but my clients will be IE, Mozilla and
Opera
> > in
> >> a Windows and *nix OS.
> >>
> >> So, my web app need to, from a server, send messages to a specific
client
> >> (browser), send messages for all clients, redirect a client to another
> > page.
> >> In other way, a client will be able to send messages to another client,
> >> throw the server.
> >>
> >> These are the first funcionalities.
> >>
> >> That is it.
> >>
> >> Thanks again.
> >>
> >> Zorhel
> >>
> >> "Ken Kolda" <ken.kolda@elliemae-nospamplease.com> wrote in message

zorhel

Ken, thinking in a pooling solution.
How can I do that? So, for tests, I will do a console application and a web
app, with frames, for refresh.
The console will be the server, and in this server, how can I pick the
connected users?
What is the bridge between server and client?

> The closest you'll get to real time is with a plugin of some kind (e.g.
> Java
> applet). Your boss should keep in mind that the cost and time to develop
> and
> test such a solution are much, MUCH greater than for writing a web
> application that uses polling. Plugin-based apps will run into many more
> platform-related issues and require much more sophisticated server-side
> implementations.
>
> Good luck -
> Ken
>

> "zorhel" <zorhel@zorhel.com> wrote in message
>> Ken, thanks again.
>> I think like you. The same pooling idea.
>> But my boss told me the app need to be real time.
>>
>> Well, real time? I just look an java applet for a multiplataform projetc.
>> Any suggestion?
>>
>> Zorhel.
>>
>> "Ken Kolda" <ken.kolda@elliemae-nospamplease.com> wrote in message
>> > In this case, remoting isn't your answer. Because of the disconnected
>> > nature
>> > of a web app, the web browser isn't capable of receiving asynchronous
>> > events
>> > such as you're referring to (without resorting to plugins, java, etc.).
>> > Instead, you will need to have your clients poll the server for new
>> > messages. That said, this polling can be fairly transparent to the
>> > user.
>> > For
>> > example, you could have a hidden frame (or IFrame) which you refresh
> every
>> > 10 seconds or so to see if there are any new messages.
>> >
>> > Anyway, I'd post your message on the ASP.NET forums since you'll
> probably
>> > get more help there.
>> >
>> > Ken
>> >

>> > "zorhel" <zorhel@zorhel.com> wrote in message
> Opera
>> > in

> client
>> > page.

> communicate
> "web

> architected,

> not

zorhel

Another thing.
In this pooling solution, I need to use remoting don't I?

Thanks.

Zorhel

"Ken Kolda" <ken.kolda@elliemae-nospamplease.com> wrote in message
> The closest you'll get to real time is with a plugin of some kind (e.g.
> Java
> applet). Your boss should keep in mind that the cost and time to develop
> and
> test such a solution are much, MUCH greater than for writing a web
> application that uses polling. Plugin-based apps will run into many more
> platform-related issues and require much more sophisticated server-side
> implementations.
>
> Good luck -
> Ken
>

> "zorhel" <zorhel@zorhel.com> wrote in message
>> Ken, thanks again.
>> I think like you. The same pooling idea.
>> But my boss told me the app need to be real time.
>>
>> Well, real time? I just look an java applet for a multiplataform projetc.
>> Any suggestion?
>>
>> Zorhel.
>>
>> "Ken Kolda" <ken.kolda@elliemae-nospamplease.com> wrote in message
>> > In this case, remoting isn't your answer. Because of the disconnected
>> > nature
>> > of a web app, the web browser isn't capable of receiving asynchronous
>> > events
>> > such as you're referring to (without resorting to plugins, java, etc.).
>> > Instead, you will need to have your clients poll the server for new
>> > messages. That said, this polling can be fairly transparent to the
>> > user.
>> > For
>> > example, you could have a hidden frame (or IFrame) which you refresh
> every
>> > 10 seconds or so to see if there are any new messages.
>> >
>> > Anyway, I'd post your message on the ASP.NET forums since you'll
> probably
>> > get more help there.
>> >
>> > Ken
>> >

>> > "zorhel" <zorhel@zorhel.com> wrote in message
> Opera
>> > in

> client
>> > page.

> communicate
> "web

> architected,

> not

Ken Kolda

I'm not sure what you mean by a "pooling solution". Since this is an ASP.NET
app, you generally wouldn't use a console application for your server, you'd
use IIS. You only need to write your own server if you use remoting (and I'm
still not sure what you need remoting for). Even then, if you use remoting,
it will almost certainly be your ASP.NET pages that connect to your remoting
server and not the client-side code itself (since that would be difficult
given the platforms you have to support).

As for tracking connected users in ASP.NET/IIS, you'd keep track of the
connected users by handling the Session_Start and Session_End events in the
global.asax (assuming you're using in-memory sessions). But, in a web-based
environment, you should generally not rely too heavily on having to know
exactly who's got an active session.