System Time synchronization

arcvonz

8/23/2004 7:30:00 PM

We have a time critical smart client application running on Windows 2000/XP
systems.
Is there any reliable service that would help in syncing the local system
time to atomic clock or local time at the least in case the user changes the
system clock in purpose or inadvertently?

- Network synchronization solutions in the network is manual I believe?
- Web service based sync could work but will not if the user is off line.

Any other viable solutions? (programmatically)

Thanks much,
Arc

2 Answers

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

Why dont you write a small windows service that queries a web based atomic
clock and resets the time

Regards

John Timney
Microsoft Regional Director
Microsoft MVP

"arcvonz" <dprivon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We have a time critical smart client application running on Windows
2000/XP
> systems.
> Is there any reliable service that would help in syncing the local system
> time to atomic clock or local time at the least in case the user changes
the
> system clock in purpose or inadvertently?
>
> - Network synchronization solutions in the network is manual I believe?
> - Web service based sync could work but will not if the user is off line.
>
> Any other viable solutions? (programmatically)
>
> Thanks much,
> Arc

Sam Santiago

Check out this link:

How to Configure an Authoritative Time Server in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...

It has a link to Word document that discusses the time service in detail.
Essentially, you can run the command:

net time /setsntp:ntpserver

to set which server you want to sync with. ntpserver can be an IP address
or server name (Internet or local).

Thanks,

Sam

--