.NET v2.0 Remoting...bug or config problem?

Stuart Campbell

I have been doing some Remoting vs. Web Services tests for
the architecture of a new project. I have performed my
tests using both .NET v1.1 and .NET v2.0 Beta 1 and I have
had some confusing results in v2.0. Either I am not
configuring it properly or there is a bug where it might
be using SOAP formatting even when configured to use
binary formatting.

The test is set up like this:
-----------------------------
ASP.NET Client App --> wellknown singlecall object hosted
in IIS --> SQL Server

Both client and server are configured using the
<system.runtime.remoting> section in web.config:

Channel: HTTP
Formatter: binary
-----------------------------

Here are the confusing results I got when returning a 1000
row dataset.

v1.1:
SOAP - 29.0 secs
Binary - 3.5 secs

v2.0 Beta 1:
SOAP - 29.0 secs
Binary - 29.0 secs !!!!

Are there any changes to remoting config in v2.0 or is
this a bug?
NOTE: I haven't checked to see that soap packets are
coming back...I'm just assuming because of the figures.

I'll include config below.

If anyone can shed some light on this I'd be very grateful.

TIA

Stuart

Client:
-------
<system.runtime.remoting>
<application>
<client>
<wellknown
type="MyNamespace.SampleBusinessComponent, Biz"
url="http://server:80/TestA2005-
Biz/SampleBusinessComponent.rem"/>
</client>
<channels>
<channel ref="http">
<clientProviders>
<formatter
ref="binary"/>
</clientProviders>
</channel>
</channels>
</application>
</system.runtime.remoting>

Server:
-------
<system.runtime.remoting>
<application>
<service>
<wellknown
mode="SingleCall"

objectUri="SampleBusinessComponent.rem"

type="MyNamespace.SampleBusinessComponent, Biz"/>
</service>
<channels>
<channel ref="http">
<serverProviders>