Henke

8/18/2004 1:43:00 PM

Hi
Is there any best practises about how and when channels should be registred
in a web client?
I have a Web application that gets data from a business layer on a remote
machine. When should my channel be registred?

Thanks in advance!
/Henke

5 Answers

Sam Santiago

With web-client do you mean a browser? If so, you might want to consider
web services.

Thanks,

Sam

--
_______________________________
Sam Santiago
"Henke" <henke_nord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> Is there any best practises about how and when channels should be
registred
> in a web client?
> I have a Web application that gets data from a business layer on a remote
> machine. When should my channel be registred?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> /Henke

Henke

Yes I mean a browser (aspx-pages).
We started of by using web-services but I'm not convinced that it's the best
way, is it?
/Henke

"Sam Santiago" <ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com> skrev i meddelandet
> With web-client do you mean a browser? If so, you might want to consider
> web services.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam
>
> --
> _______________________________
> Sam Santiago
> ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com
> http://www.SoftiTe...
> _______________________________
> "Henke" <henke_nord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > Is there any best practises about how and when channels should be
> registred
> > in a web client?
> > I have a Web application that gets data from a business layer on a
remote
> > machine. When should my channel be registred?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> > /Henke

Sam Santiago

So you have an ASP.NET application and the business layer is on a another
machine? Your ASP.NET application is the client to a remote object, right.
Check out this article:

INFO: Configure .NET Remoting When the Remoting Client Is an ASP.NET
Application or the Client Is Another Remoted Component That Is Hosted by IIS
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...

You might want to reconsider having a business layer on a remote server.
It's a good idea to have a business layer, but remoting it will likely be a
performance killer. Anytime you have to cross process boundaries much less
machine boundaries you are affected performance by an exponential factor.
Depending on the expected volume of your site it may or may not be a major
factor. Consider deploying your business layer on your ASP.NET server if
needed for better performance.

Thanks,

Sam
_______________________________
> Yes I mean a browser (aspx-pages).
> We started of by using web-services but I'm not convinced that it's the
best
> way, is it?
> /Henke
>
> "Sam Santiago" <ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > With web-client do you mean a browser? If so, you might want to
consider
> > web services.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Sam
> >
> > --
> > _______________________________
> > Sam Santiago
> > ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com
> > http://www.SoftiTe...
> > _______________________________
> > "Henke" <henke_nord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > > Is there any best practises about how and when channels should be
> > registred
> > > in a web client?
> > > I have a Web application that gets data from a business layer on a
> remote
> > > machine. When should my channel be registred?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> > > /Henke

Henke

Thanks Sam for your advices. The article described what we were trying to
do. So you think it should be a performance killer? I thought it should be
good to separate UI-logic from the business logic, so the most powerfull
machine (the back end server) was to take care of all database accesses,
validation and so.
But maybe I'm wrong.
Do you know any good articles where I can read about it?

Thanks again!

> So you have an ASP.NET application and the business layer is on a another
> machine? Your ASP.NET application is the client to a remote object,
right.
> Check out this article:
>
> INFO: Configure .NET Remoting When the Remoting Client Is an ASP.NET
> Application or the Client Is Another Remoted Component That Is Hosted by
IIS
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...
>
> You might want to reconsider having a business layer on a remote server.
> It's a good idea to have a business layer, but remoting it will likely be
> performance killer. Anytime you have to cross process boundaries much less
> machine boundaries you are affected performance by an exponential factor.
> Depending on the expected volume of your site it may or may not be a major
> factor. Consider deploying your business layer on your ASP.NET server if
> needed for better performance.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam
> _______________________________
> Sam Santiago
> ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com
> http://www.SoftiTe...
> _______________________________
> "Henke" <henke_nord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Yes I mean a browser (aspx-pages).
> > We started of by using web-services but I'm not convinced that it's the
> best
> > way, is it?
> > /Henke
> >
> > "Sam Santiago" <ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > > With web-client do you mean a browser? If so, you might want to
> consider
> > > web services.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Sam
> > >
> > > --
> > > _______________________________
> > > Sam Santiago
> > > ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com
> > > http://www.SoftiTe...
> > > _______________________________
> > > "Henke" <henke_nord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > registred
> > remote

Sam Santiago

Don't confuse logical layers with physical deployment of those layers. It's
good to separate the logic and functionality, but don't separate them across
machine boundaries unless absolutely needed. This is a good article from
Martin Fowler:

http://www.sdmagazine.com/documents/s=7897/sdm0304a/sdm0304a.htm?temp=...

Thanks,

Sam