Re: Return Values and network usage.

Sam Santiago

8/12/2004 8:59:00 PM

A value will always be returned from a function whether or not remoting is involved. You can ignore the return value by not assigning it to a variable, no decoration required. Just like you are doing below. Have you tried it? I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Thanks,

Sam

--
_______________________________
Sam Santiago
"Shaun Wilson" <swilson@infocusdata.com> wrote in message news:eD6FS%23IgEHA.1344@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
When a client calls a method on an remote object, but does not require the return value, does the remoting framework still send the return value over the network back to the client or is it intelligent enough to know it isn't necessary?

Example:

public class RemoteObject : MarshalByRefObject

{

// .

public ArrayList Foo(object value)

{

return new ArrayList();

}

}

// .

remoteObject.Foo();

If the return value is getting sent to the client even though the client call doesn't need it, is there anything I can do to intelligently 'throw away' the return value (without requiring myself to decorate the call, as this is "not the exception, but the rule".

Thanks for any info.