Re: Remoting vs. COM GetObject

Sam Santiago

8/12/2004 8:54:00 PM

It depends on what you are trying to do and how you would like your apps to
communicate. You can always use other methods such as a common database,
MSMQ, or a shared file. You can still use COM+ and create a serviced
component used by both applications. And you can use remoting as well.
Here's a link with some info and more links:

Distributed App Communication
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsent7/html/vxoriChoosingBusinessLogicTechno...

Thanks,

Sam

--
_______________________________
Sam Santiago
"Alex Maghen" <AlexMaghen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I've been reviewing the documentation on .NET Remoting and I have a
> question: If the only type of inter-application communication will be
between
> two .NET applications on the same machine, is there any easier way to do
this
> than what's described in the Remoting documentation? I mean, is there no
way
> for Clases and Members made public to be accessible by other applications
the
> way they used to be in plain old OLE applications? Just let me know so I
can
> start slogging through all this remoting stuff if it comes to that :)
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex

1 Answer

Mike

I'm new to remoting (duh, see previous post) but I'd be surprised if someone
hasn't already written a MemoryMappedFileChannel for remoting. (I'm
surprised there isn't one in the core classes.)

Apres google NB: Apparently www.genuinechannels.com has a local channel, in
addition to gobs of other stuff. (No relation, and no personal experience.)
Didn't see any free code for local channels.