Re: Remote Type Not Found in Remoting Client

Sam Santiago

8/12/2004 8:44:00 PM

The assembly that defines your remote object must be accessible to the
client, so you must deploy the assembly to the client. You can remote an
interface if you do not want to do this. Check out step #5 in this link:

Basic Remoting Task List
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconBasicRemotingTa...

Thanks,

Sam

--
_______________________________
Sam Santiago
"Alex Maghen" <AlexMaghen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm a little confused. Here's my simple scenario:
>
> I have a HOST application which is a Windows Forms .NET app in VS.
> I have a CLIENT application which is a Console app, also in VS.
>
> In the namespace of the HOST application (inside the Form1.cs file), I've
> declared:
> public class UseMeRemotelyClass : MarshalByRefObject
>
> In the HOST application's Main function (which is inside the Form1 class),
> do:
> RemotingConfiguration.Configure("InterAppTestHost.config");
>
> I can compile and run this application just fine.
>
> NOW, when I build my CLIENT application, I get an error saying that the
> "UseMeRemotely" type can't be found. And that doesn't surprise me because
> have no "using" directive or anything that points to it. Can you help?
>
> Is there a VERY simple sample pair of application code I can download?
>
> Alex

2 Answers

Alex Maghen

I know I'm being a real baby but I gotta tell you, this is hurting my head. I
just posted another request to see if someone can point to a sample of a HOST
and CLIENT application built and configured in VS.NET/C# so I can "copy and
learn." Any thoughts?

Sincerely, The Remoting Idiot.

"Sam Santiago" wrote:

> The assembly that defines your remote object must be accessible to the
> client, so you must deploy the assembly to the client. You can remote an
> interface if you do not want to do this. Check out step #5 in this link:
>
> Basic Remoting Task List
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconBasicRemotingTa...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam
>
> --
> _______________________________
> Sam Santiago
> ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com
> http://www.SoftiTe...
> _______________________________
> "Alex Maghen" <AlexMaghen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm a little confused. Here's my simple scenario:
> >
> > I have a HOST application which is a Windows Forms .NET app in VS.
> > I have a CLIENT application which is a Console app, also in VS.
> >
> > In the namespace of the HOST application (inside the Form1.cs file), I've
> > declared:
> > public class UseMeRemotelyClass : MarshalByRefObject
> >
> > In the HOST application's Main function (which is inside the Form1 class),
> > do:
> > RemotingConfiguration.Configure("InterAppTestHost.config");
> >
> > I can compile and run this application just fine.
> >
> > NOW, when I build my CLIENT application, I get an error saying that the
> > "UseMeRemotely" type can't be found. And that doesn't surprise me because
> > have no "using" directive or anything that points to it. Can you help?
> >
> > Is there a VERY simple sample pair of application code I can download?
> >
> > Alex

Sam Santiago

Here are some right on MSDN from the .NET documentation:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconremotingexamplelif...

The first one, Dynamic Publication, is the one to start with.

Or here's another in C#:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...

Thanks,

Sam