microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Different between ADSI and VS.NET Directory Service?

ygary

10/21/2003 8:20:00 AM

Hi All,

Is the directory service only retrieve the active directory information
of those Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003 Server which installed Active
Directory? Actually, I am using Window 2000 Professional and I am going to
retrieve the user list in my local machine. I am successfully retrieve it
by using ADSI but when I use VS.NET Directory Service, exception is thrown.
I want to verify whether the directory service can be used in retrieving
those servers installed active directory only or not.

Thank you very much

Gary

1 Answer

Willy Denoyette

DirectoryServices are wrappers around the ADSI client library (activeds.dll), so both are functionaly equivalent.
Note that you can/should use the LDAP provider interface when binding to an AD o W2K or W2K3, when binding to a local machine you
can only use the WinNT provider.

Please post your failing code.

Willy.