Tom

10/15/2003 3:35:00 PM

Assuming that I use delaysigning for my assmebly, do I have to link the
application that uses this assembly after it is signed with a private/public
key par? Or is it enough to link the app when the app is signed with the
public key

Thanks.

3 Answers

David Levine

It is enough to link the app with the referenced assembly has been delay
signed with the public key. The purpose of delay signing is that you can
develop and write your code with only the public key in the referenced
assembly. As long as the referenced assembly has the public key token in it
you can link to it with other assemblies. If you look in the manifest of the
assemblies that have references to it you will see that they use a token to
the public key, not the private key. However, since the referenced assembly
does not have the cryptographic signature necessary for verification to
succeed you will need to configure your development/test machines to skip
verification of that assembly. See the docs for sn.exe for the command line
switches.

"Tom" <tom@hotmail.com.what> wrote in message
> Assuming that I use delaysigning for my assmebly, do I have to link the
> application that uses this assembly after it is signed with a
private/public
> key par? Or is it enough to link the app when the app is signed with the
> public key
>
> Thanks.

Tom

Thanks Dave. The question is do I have to rebuild the application that
references the assembly after the assembly is signed with a private key
right before the product release. I had already compiled my application
after signing the assembly with public key.

Thanks for your help

Tom.

"Dave" <noSpamdlevineNNTP2@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> It is enough to link the app with the referenced assembly has been delay
> signed with the public key. The purpose of delay signing is that you can
> develop and write your code with only the public key in the referenced
> assembly. As long as the referenced assembly has the public key token in
it
> you can link to it with other assemblies. If you look in the manifest of
the
> assemblies that have references to it you will see that they use a token
> the public key, not the private key. However, since the referenced
assembly
> does not have the cryptographic signature necessary for verification to
> succeed you will need to configure your development/test machines to skip
> verification of that assembly. See the docs for sn.exe for the command
line
> switches.
>
> "Tom" <tom@hotmail.com.what> wrote in message
> > Assuming that I use delaysigning for my assmebly, do I have to link the
> > application that uses this assembly after it is signed with a
> private/public
> > key par? Or is it enough to link the app when the app is signed with the
> > public key
> >
> > Thanks.

David Levine

You shouldn't have to.