Registering two or more TcpChannel ports

Phil Jones

8/5/2004 3:00:00 AM

I'm getting an error when I try to register the TcpChannel twice on the same
machine. The reason I'm wanting to do this (which I think might be
misguided) is I want two different apps operating on two different ports. I
can only see how to register a domain:port by registering a new channel.

Am I going about this the wrong way, or missing something here? Should I
add a new TCP channel, or should I be changing a pre-registered channel's
config?

Thanks everyone.

3 Answers

Phil Jones

OK....figured it out. Set the "name" property on the TcpChannel.

Duh! Sorry everyone.

Sunny

In article <O2$hSbpeEHA.2468@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
phil_newsgroup@hotmail.com says...
> I'm getting an error when I try to register the TcpChannel twice on the same
> machine. The reason I'm wanting to do this (which I think might be
> misguided) is I want two different apps operating on two different ports. I
> can only see how to register a domain:port by registering a new channel.
>
> Am I going about this the wrong way, or missing something here? Should I
> add a new TCP channel, or should I be changing a pre-registered channel's
> config?
>
> Thanks everyone.

Hi Phil,

What you mean by "two different apps operating on two different ports."
If you mean 2 different objects in the same server application, it wont
happen without some additional work. In .Net remoting, all registered
objects are exposed on all registered channels. So if you intend to have
ObjectA exposed on port 2222 and ObjectB exposed on port 3333, you have
to create some custom channel sync, which allows calls only to a given
object to pass through that channel. Otherwise both objects will be
accessible on both channels.

Sunny

Phil Jones

OK, that's good to know. So basically the port allocation is just for what
the actual channel doing the work will communicate over - but it is actually
irrelevant from the logical view of the application.

[If I get what your saying!]

Thanks Sunny