Robert Reineri

8/4/2004 3:44:00 PM

Hello All,

I am hosting several objects in a windows service. In the configuration file
for the service, I have the following system.runtime.remoting section,
shortened for clarity:

<system.runtime.remoting>
<application>
<service>
<wellknown mode="Singleton"
type="FNBM.Factories.CoordinatorFactory, FNBM.Factories"
objectUri="CoordinatorFactory.rem" />
</service>

<channels>

<channel ref="tcp" port="7777" >
<serverProviders>
<formatter ref="binary" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
</serverProviders>
</channel>

<channel ref="tcp" port="7778" >
<serverProviders>
<formatter ref="binary" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
</serverProviders>
</channel>

</channels>
</application>
</system.runtime.remoting>

When I try to start the service at run time, it complains that the TCP
channel is already bound. Remoting is new to me, so I obviously am missing
something fundamental here. Why can't I have two TCP channels, as long as
they are listening on different ports? There is a reason I need to provide
two "points of access" to these remote objects that is too much to explain
here - suffice it to say that our networking people are forcing this on us
for logging/security reasons.

Please respond via newsgoup is possible! Thanks for any help you can
provide...

Robert

1 Answer

Ken Kolda

Having two channels is fine -- the problem is that .NET will assign the two
channels the same name ("tcp"), which is where the collision occurs. To fix
this, just provide each channel a name, e.g.

<channel ref="tcp" name="tcp1" ... >

Ken