One config file for IIS and custom app server

Christian Jung

7/30/2004 3:19:00 PM

Hello,

we usually use IIS as appserver, but for one customer we are not allowed to
do so. For this reason we have written our own appserver to host the remote
objects. For the sake of simple configuration management it would be great
if our own appserver could use the same web.config file as IIS in its call
to RemotingConfiguration.Configure. One problem with this idea is that it is
not possible to specify the port for a channel in web.config. My question
is: Is it possible to set a port for a channel after the call to
RemotingConfiguration.Configure? Or is there a better solution to use one
config file to configure IIS and/or a custom server?

Thanks for any ideas...

Christian

1 Answer

Sunny

I generaly prefer to use programatic configuration. I put all the
settings I need to change in my own config file, and then in
Application_Start in IIS I parse that file and setup remoting
programmatically. The same approach will work with your custom app
server as well. I have started to use programmatic config, after reading
about this problem:

http://www.genuinechannels.com/Content.aspx?id=88&...

Cheers
Sunny