Limitation of events over SOAP/HTTP

Luke Church

7/29/2004 11:35:00 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently doing priliminary research into the usability of event passing
through remoting. I've been experiencing some difficulty.

Using a sample that I found I now have the eventing working successfully
using a BinaryServerFormatterSinkProvider and a TCP Channel.

Ideally I would like to work with Soap over an HTTP channel, but seemingly
when I try either or both of these I am returned with 'RemotingException was
unhandled' Server Encountered an internal error. To get more info turn on
customErrors in the server's config file.

Using programatic changes to this paratmeter doesn't seem to have any
effect.

However my primary question is: Am I running into some inherent resrictions
on the use of events, do they have to be over Binary over TCP or am I doing
something else wrong?

I'm using .NET 2.0 Beta 1, is this likely to be having an effect?

Can anyone else confirm this problem, or point me to an example of events
working over HTTP and/or SOAP?

Much appreciated,

Luke

1 Answer

Sunny

Hi Luke,

In article <OoUFT$VdEHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
luke_church_dev@hotmail.com says...
> Ideally I would like to work with Soap over an HTTP channel, but seemingly
> when I try either or both of these I am returned with 'RemotingException was
> unhandled' Server Encountered an internal error. To get more info turn on
> customErrors in the server's config file.
>
> Using programatic changes to this paratmeter doesn't seem to have any
> effect.

This parameter can be changed only with config file, there is no
programmatic way. Oh, there is, but it involves reflection, and it is
ugly. And you may have problems if in the future release of the
framework the internals are changed. So, keep with the config file for
this parameter.

> However my primary question is: Am I running into some inherent resrictions
> on the use of events, do they have to be over Binary over TCP or am I doing
> something else wrong?
>
> I'm using .NET 2.0 Beta 1, is this likely to be having an effect?
>
> Can anyone else confirm this problem, or point me to an example of events
> working over HTTP and/or SOAP?

I haven't tried with 2.0, but it works fine with 1.1. Please, create a
small sample program using TCP/binary. If it works, change only the
channel registration to HTPP/SOAP, and if it is not working, please post
the code.

Sunny