Performance of .NET Remoting vis-a-vis Web Services

Abdullah Kauchali

7/28/2004 7:36:00 AM

I am aware that .NET Remoting offers better overall performance than Web
Services, but ... is there any documentation (benchmarks) on the *magnitude*
of the performance advantage of .NET Remoting over Web Services? By how
much is it better?

Also, what is the impact of enhancing Web Service calls with functionality
like zipping of XML before being submitted across the wire?

Has anyone done these sort of tests?

Many thanks & kind regards

Abdullah

8 Answers

Thomas Tomiczek

"Abdullah Kauchali" <abdullah.kauchali@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> I am aware that .NET Remoting offers better overall performance than Web
> Services, but ... is there any documentation (benchmarks) on the
*magnitude*
> of the performance advantage of .NET Remoting over Web Services? By how
> much is it better?

Bad news. Your information is wrong. In .NET 1.1 - web services are often
faster than remoting.

Yes, I was shocked about this, too.

--
Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Software & Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
(CTO PowerNodes Ltd.)
---

Still waiting for ObjectSpaces? Try the EntityBroker today - more versatile,
more powerfull.
And something in use NOW. for the projects you have to deliver - NOW.

Abdullah Kauchali

> Bad news. Your information is wrong. In .NET 1.1 - web services are often
> faster than remoting.
>
> Yes, I was shocked about this, too.

(Sound of jaw falling open ...)

References! References, please!

Sam Santiago

Check out this link:

Performance Comparison: .NET Remoting vs. ASP.NET Web Services
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/bdadotnet...

Thanks,

Sam

--
_______________________________
Sam Santiago
"Abdullah Kauchali" <abdullah.kauchali@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> I am aware that .NET Remoting offers better overall performance than Web
> Services, but ... is there any documentation (benchmarks) on the
*magnitude*
> of the performance advantage of .NET Remoting over Web Services? By how
> much is it better?
>
> Also, what is the impact of enhancing Web Service calls with functionality
> like zipping of XML before being submitted across the wire?
>
> Has anyone done these sort of tests?
>
> Many thanks & kind regards
>
> Abdullah

Sam Santiago

No matter which method you choose, you might want to read this:

Improving .NET Application Performance and Scalability
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag/html/sc...

Thanks,

Sam

--
_______________________________
"Sam Santiago" <ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com> wrote in message
> Check out this link:
>
> Performance Comparison: .NET Remoting vs. ASP.NET Web Services

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/bdadotnet...

> Thanks,
>
> Sam
>
> --
> _______________________________
> Sam Santiago
> ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com
> http://www.SoftiTe...
> _______________________________
> "Abdullah Kauchali" <abdullah.kauchali@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > I am aware that .NET Remoting offers better overall performance than Web
> > Services, but ... is there any documentation (benchmarks) on the
> *magnitude*
> > of the performance advantage of .NET Remoting over Web Services? By
how
> > much is it better?
> >
> > Also, what is the impact of enhancing Web Service calls with
functionality
> > like zipping of XML before being submitted across the wire?
> >
> > Has anyone done these sort of tests?
> >
> > Many thanks & kind regards
> >
> > Abdullah

Abdullah Kauchali

"Sam Santiago" :
> Performance Comparison: .NET Remoting vs. ASP.NET Web Services

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/bdadotnet...

Thanks Sam.

One question: at the end of that link, the writer concludes that IIS-based
web services lend themselves to scaling out (using multiple redundant
servers) and .NET remoting on its own does not.

Is this what Thomas was implying that IIS Webservices can be better
performing that .NET Remoting?

Kind regards

Abdullah

Thomas Tomiczek

I would leave my fingers from this article. It is wrong.

Well, nto wrong. Note the date. September 2002. This is ASP.NET 1.0 on .NET
1.0, right?

With 1.1 xmlserialization was reworked and now is much faster than the
binary serializer of remoting.

--
Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Software & Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
(CTO PowerNodes Ltd.)
---

Still waiting for ObjectSpaces? Try the EntityBroker today - more versatile,
more powerfull.
And something in use NOW. for the projects you have to deliver - NOW.

"Sam Santiago" <ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com> wrote in message
> Check out this link:
>
> Performance Comparison: .NET Remoting vs. ASP.NET Web Services

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/bdadotnet...

> Thanks,
>
> Sam
>
> --
> _______________________________
> Sam Santiago
> ssantiago@n0spam-SoftiTechture.com
> http://www.SoftiTe...
> _______________________________
> "Abdullah Kauchali" <abdullah.kauchali@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > I am aware that .NET Remoting offers better overall performance than Web
> > Services, but ... is there any documentation (benchmarks) on the
> *magnitude*
> > of the performance advantage of .NET Remoting over Web Services? By
how
> > much is it better?
> >
> > Also, what is the impact of enhancing Web Service calls with
functionality
> > like zipping of XML before being submitted across the wire?
> >
> > Has anyone done these sort of tests?
> >
> > Many thanks & kind regards
> >
> > Abdullah

Abdullah Kauchali

"Thomas Tomiczek [MVP]"
> <t.tomiczek@thona-consulting.com> wrote in message
> I would leave my fingers from this article. It is wrong.
>
> Well, nto wrong. Note the date. September 2002. This is ASP.NET 1.0 on
..NET
> 1.0, right?
>
> With 1.1 xmlserialization was reworked and now is much faster than the
> binary serializer of remoting.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...

Is this what you're talking about?

Are there any links we can read about this improvement in performance,
Thomas?

Sam Santiago

Here's another article that might help you that's more recent:

.NET Remoting Versus Web Services
By Thiru Thangarathinam
http://www.developer.com/net/net/print.php/11087...

Essentially, he concludes what I have heard from other folks at conferences
and other papers. Use Web Services if you need platform interoperability
and .NET Remoting if you need to communicate between .NET apps. If you do
use .NET Remoting I have also read the using the HTTP channel with the
Binary formatter is better. Supposedly, some folks have reported threading
issues with the TCP channel.

Good luck.

Thanks,

Sam