Michel Racicot

10/7/2003 8:19:00 PM

Why is dotnet called so?

I mean, several peoples mix dotnet development with domain names
(www."something".net) ...

And several peoples also think that with dotnet framework, you can only
develop internet based applications...

Where do this came from? And why?

Thank you

5 Answers

Michael Giagnocavo

Originally some of this stuff was called "Next Generation Web Services".
That sounded crappy I guess, so Marketing decided .NET. Then they added
..NET to everything which confused the heck out of everyone cause all of a
sudden ".NET" was everything, so then they took it off.

Also, .NET has a much better connotation than .COM (like Sun's "we put the
dot in .com"... ;)).

-mike
MVP

"Michel Racicot" <michel.racicot_NO_SPAM_@cgi.com> wrote in message
> Why is dotnet called so?
>
> I mean, several peoples mix dotnet development with domain names
> (www."something".net) ...
>
> And several peoples also think that with dotnet framework, you can only
> develop internet based applications...
>
> Where do this came from? And why?
>
> Thank you

Mr.Tickle

People see .NET as this fantasy web crapola, its a marketing nightamre, when
I talk about .NET they picture that, and just balk at the thought of
installing the runtime.

I say they shot themselves in the foot with that one, makes it harder to get
ppl to install the runtime to get my tools. insta reaction "I aint
installing that .net drm blah blah crap"

"Michael Giagnocavo [MVP]" <mggUNSPAM@Atrevido.net> wrote in message
> Originally some of this stuff was called "Next Generation Web Services".
> That sounded crappy I guess, so Marketing decided .NET. Then they added
> .NET to everything which confused the heck out of everyone cause all of a
> sudden ".NET" was everything, so then they took it off.
>
> Also, .NET has a much better connotation than .COM (like Sun's "we put the
> dot in .com"... ;)).
>
> -mike
> MVP
>
> "Michel Racicot" <michel.racicot_NO_SPAM_@cgi.com> wrote in message
> > Why is dotnet called so?
> >
> > I mean, several peoples mix dotnet development with domain names
> > (www."something".net) ...
> >
> > And several peoples also think that with dotnet framework, you can only
> > develop internet based applications...
> >
> > Where do this came from? And why?
> >
> > Thank you

John Spiegel

Well, OBVIOUSLY because the "net" is the ONLY way that anything
useful/productive can ever happen. Anyway, since Microsoft INVENTED the
Internet (or some employee named Al Gore) and SQL, their product names
should reference them.<g>

IMHO, M$ likes to mix a combination of inconsistency and hubris in it's
naming. I guess marketing is too fresh and changing for me to ever
understand. Some personal favorites:

- Two lines of OS: switch the one that was named with letters (NT) and call
it by year (2000) while taking the line that was by year (9x) and give it
letters (ME);
- Take two "words" that are standards/concepts and combine them. Voila, you
have a product (SQL Server). Sometimes I think every third conversation
I've had about SQL since then has involved clarifying whether I'm talking
about SQL or SQL Server;
- DDE gets things done. No, I mean ActiveX...wait...COM;
- Visual FoxPro 3, skip version 4 so it has the same number as other VS
components, drop it out two versions later;
- VS ...,5,6, .NET (Doesn't "7" come after "6"???);
- Office 95, 97, 2000...XP (which is composed individually of <ProductName>
2002)

Ah, if we had a dime for every MiNFU...

- John

> Why is dotnet called so?
>
> I mean, several peoples mix dotnet development with domain names
> (www."something".net) ...
>
> And several peoples also think that with dotnet framework, you can only
> develop internet based applications...
>
> Where do this came from? And why?
>
> Thank you

Michael Giagnocavo

> - VS ...,5,6, .NET (Doesn't "7" come after "6"???);

Yep, and 7.1 after 7. Look in the About box in VS.NET. Remember, the
people in marketing make these decisions, so... ;)
-mike
MVP

> "Michel Racicot" <michel.racicot_NO_SPAM_@cgi.com> wrote in message
> > Why is dotnet called so?
> >
> > I mean, several peoples mix dotnet development with domain names
> > (www."something".net) ...
> >
> > And several peoples also think that with dotnet framework, you can only
> > develop internet based applications...
> >
> > Where do this came from? And why?
> >
> > Thank you

Michael Giagnocavo

Some people might. Microsoft is trying to refine that concept and it's
current plan and marketing is much clearer than it was when "Hailstorm"
passed over.
-mike
MVP