microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Microsoft Drops The Ball!

Patrick Cannon

10/6/2003 5:25:00 PM

I have been using VB.NET since its beta release a few
years ago. I was blown away by its debugging
capabilities. The ability to drill down into the member
variables of an object in the watch window was
priceless. This feature was not available in VB6. It
was a great way to browse an object without having to
know all the private member variables of an entity. This
was one of the features that allowed me to accelerate my
namespace knowledge, allowing development to be
productive.

With the release of Visual Studio .NET 2003, Microsoft
decided "by design" to remove this capability completely
from VB.NET. Instead of giving the user an option to
enable this feature, Microsoft decided all VB.NET
developers did not need it. I find this attitude
presumptuous. The other languages available in VS 2003
retained this feature, while VB developers, who got used
to debugging in this fashion, were left high and dry.
They didn't even remove it cleanly. The plus sign still
appears in the watch windows making the developer believe
that variable browsing is available, but when you click
the plus sign to expand the object to view the member
variables, the plus sign just disappears.

I find the exclusion of valuable debugging features and
the lack of quality of VS 2003 very troubling. It seems
that Microsoft has regressed with their latest release of
Visual Studio. Currently, we have thirteen corporate
developers with Universal subscriptions designing and
deploying distributed applications primarily using
VB.NET. And now we have found the task of debugging
cumbersome and unproductive. I hope Microsoft can find a
way to reintroduce this functionality before our
subscriptions are up. I would hate to have to spend the
next year switching our development platform, because
Microsoft feels the need to spurn the devoted developers
that utilize the tools offered by Microsoft.

2 Answers

Lloyd Dupont

well I'm quite surprized.
but well I don't use VB but C#, however it's hard to believe you can't
browse the internal field with VB, as you can with C# & C++...

"Patrick Cannon" <pcannon@bandag.com> wrote in message
> I have been using VB.NET since its beta release a few
> years ago. I was blown away by its debugging
> capabilities. The ability to drill down into the member
> variables of an object in the watch window was
> priceless. This feature was not available in VB6. It
> was a great way to browse an object without having to
> know all the private member variables of an entity. This
> was one of the features that allowed me to accelerate my
> namespace knowledge, allowing development to be
> productive.
>
> With the release of Visual Studio .NET 2003, Microsoft
> decided "by design" to remove this capability completely
> from VB.NET. Instead of giving the user an option to
> enable this feature, Microsoft decided all VB.NET
> developers did not need it. I find this attitude
> presumptuous. The other languages available in VS 2003
> retained this feature, while VB developers, who got used
> to debugging in this fashion, were left high and dry.
> They didn't even remove it cleanly. The plus sign still
> appears in the watch windows making the developer believe
> that variable browsing is available, but when you click
> the plus sign to expand the object to view the member
> variables, the plus sign just disappears.
>
> I find the exclusion of valuable debugging features and
> the lack of quality of VS 2003 very troubling. It seems
> that Microsoft has regressed with their latest release of
> Visual Studio. Currently, we have thirteen corporate
> developers with Universal subscriptions designing and
> deploying distributed applications primarily using
> VB.NET. And now we have found the task of debugging
> cumbersome and unproductive. I hope Microsoft can find a
> way to reintroduce this functionality before our
> subscriptions are up. I would hate to have to spend the
> next year switching our development platform, because
> Microsoft feels the need to spurn the devoted developers
> that utilize the tools offered by Microsoft.

quansun

I'm using Visual Studio .NET 2002 and 2003. However, I don't meet the
problem. I can browse the member of a object in the Watch window. You can
try it on other machines to see whether it occurs.

Best regards,

Duke Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support
<MCSE/MCDBA/MCSD>