Having trouble using regsvcs.exe

moondaddy

7/26/2004 8:18:00 PM

I'm running vb.net 1.1 and I need to register a dll using regsvcs.exe and am
getting the error:
Command "RegSvcs.exe" is not valid.

the path to the dll I want to register is:
D:\nwis\Apps\CSLA
1.0\csla\CSLA.Server.ServicedDataPortal\bin\CSLA.Server.ServicedDataPortal.d
ll

and I've tried lots of different syntax for using regsvcs in both the
dosprompt and the vs comand prompt and always get the same error.

Here's one of syntax I tried?

regsvcs /appname:CLSA CSLA.Server.ServicedDataPortal.dll

Can anyone help me with the proper syntax and any other tips?

--
moondaddy@nospam.com

4 Answers

Sunny

right-click on that project in VS.Net, and select properties. There
select Register for COM interop. Build the project. If you have any
problem it the tool, it will fail, and then you will know that you need
to reinstal the SDK.

Sunny

In article <Of4Huy0cEHA.2436@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, moondaddy@nospam.com
says...
> I'm running vb.net 1.1 and I need to register a dll using regsvcs.exe and am
> getting the error:
> Command "RegSvcs.exe" is not valid.
>
> the path to the dll I want to register is:
> D:\nwis\Apps\CSLA
> 1.0\csla\CSLA.Server.ServicedDataPortal\bin\CSLA.Server.ServicedDataPortal.d
> ll
>
> and I've tried lots of different syntax for using regsvcs in both the
> dosprompt and the vs comand prompt and always get the same error.
>
> Here's one of syntax I tried?
>
> regsvcs /appname:CLSA CSLA.Server.ServicedDataPortal.dll
>

> Can anyone help me with the proper syntax and any other tips?

moondaddy

Thanks Sunny, that worked with no errors. I understand that after running
regsvcs which is what I was trying to do, that the dll would be located in
the com+ console, however, I don't see it there. Am I missing anything?

--
moondaddy@nospam.com
"Sunny" <sunny@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi,
> right-click on that project in VS.Net, and select properties. There
> select Register for COM interop. Build the project. If you have any
> problem it the tool, it will fail, and then you will know that you need
> to reinstal the SDK.
>
> Sunny
>
> In article <Of4Huy0cEHA.2436@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, moondaddy@nospam.com
> says...
> > I'm running vb.net 1.1 and I need to register a dll using regsvcs.exe
and am
> > getting the error:
> > Command "RegSvcs.exe" is not valid.
> >
> > the path to the dll I want to register is:
> > D:\nwis\Apps\CSLA

1.0\csla\CSLA.Server.ServicedDataPortal\bin\CSLA.Server.ServicedDataPortal.d
> > ll
> >
> > and I've tried lots of different syntax for using regsvcs in both the
> > dosprompt and the vs comand prompt and always get the same error.
> >
> > Here's one of syntax I tried?
> >
> > regsvcs /appname:CLSA CSLA.Server.ServicedDataPortal.dll
> >

> > Can anyone help me with the proper syntax and any other tips?

Sunny

regsvcs just registers your class as COM object in the registry. If you
need to use COM+/DCOM, you have to take a look at
System.EnterpriseServices namespace. And in that field you will get more
useful help in the dotnet.framework.interop newsgroup.

Sunny

In article <#C4GCQ2cEHA.2164@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, moondaddy@nospam.com
says...