A Mirror of my Remoting Object

Phil Jones

7/25/2004 12:11:00 AM

I'm toying with a design idea related to how I work with a remoting
collection. I'm getting a collection or remote object and binding them to a
grid - however I'm thiking that rather than bind the remote objects directly
to the grid, copying the data into a DataTable and binding that to the gird.
Then handling syncing the updates to the DataTable back with the remote
objects.

My motivation behind this is so that I can control where, when and how the
remote objects are created/modified - and when the associated network
traffic occurs.

I was just wondering if anyone who's got real experience with remoting (I'm
just getting into it) had an opinion on this design approach - or are there
cautionary tales here - like a "NO THAT TOTALLY BREAKS THE REMOTING MODEL"
concept that I might not be seeing.

Cheers everyone!

===
Phil
(Auckland | Aotearoa)

2 Answers

Sunny

always when it cames to some kind of RPC, the general prefference is to
avoid "chatty" method calls. So, passing the data to the client,
modifying there as needed and returning the result back for process is
better than calling the server for any minimal "mouse movement".

Sunny

In article <OX3qOqdcEHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
phil_newsgroup@hotmail.com says...
> I'm toying with a design idea related to how I work with a remoting
> collection. I'm getting a collection or remote object and binding them to a
> grid - however I'm thiking that rather than bind the remote objects directly
> to the grid, copying the data into a DataTable and binding that to the gird.
> Then handling syncing the updates to the DataTable back with the remote
> objects.
>
> My motivation behind this is so that I can control where, when and how the
> remote objects are created/modified - and when the associated network
> traffic occurs.
>
> I was just wondering if anyone who's got real experience with remoting (I'm
> just getting into it) had an opinion on this design approach - or are there
> cautionary tales here - like a "NO THAT TOTALLY BREAKS THE REMOTING MODEL"
> concept that I might not be seeing.
>
> Cheers everyone!
>
> ===
> Phil
> (Auckland | Aotearoa)

Phil Jones

Cool - thanks Sunny - you've validated my approach (which I've now invested
some time in) that that makes me happy.

Cheers,

===
Phil