michael

7/22/2004 11:30:00 AM

Hello,
I have some strange configuration of dlls and assemblies, which I want to ( Have to) use for a distributed application ( My Job is to glue existents tools together and perform a calculation on a specific machine). All Code is in (M)C++.
I use a mixed mode dll as remote object (Client-Activated, SingleCall). I get an Error-Message
"Unable to initialize DAO/Jet db engine" when I try to open a DAO-Datatable and use a remote call. Everything works fine, if I open the object directly within an application.
According to the "mixed dll loading problem" solution I added already static member functions, but I am not sure when and how to call them. So the failure should be based on the way ma dll is called by ".net.remoting".
Could someone give me any hints?

My Configuration : MC++ (Gui) Class -> C++WrapperClass -> C++Class in Dll, uses MFC and DAO (given)

Best regards
Michael

7 Answers

Sunny

I'm not completely sure what's going on, but I would try not to expose
directly the mixed objects. Why don't you try to create a pure managed
MBR object, which acts like a wrapper arround your mixed mode assembly.

Sunny

In article <C67C0F33-88F2-4D6D-8657-925286577E48@microsoft.com>,
Michael@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Hello,
> I have some strange configuration of dlls and assemblies, which I want to ( Have to) use for a distributed application ( My Job is to glue existents tools together and perform a calculation on a specific machine). All Code is in (M)C++.
> I use a mixed mode dll as remote object (Client-Activated, SingleCall). I get an Error-Message
> "Unable to initialize DAO/Jet db engine" when I try to open a DAO-Datatable and use a remote call. Everything works fine, if I open the object directly within an application.
> According to the "mixed dll loading problem" solution I added already static member functions, but I am not sure when and how to call them. So the failure should be based on the way ma dll is called by ".net.remoting".
> Could someone give me any hints?
>

> My Configuration : MC++ (Gui) Class -> C++WrapperClass -> C++Class in Dll, uses MFC and DAO (given)
>
> Best regards
> Michael

Joseph van

I am getting the same error:

I have spent the last month or so developing a PointOfSales application
using a DAO database (created in Access97 format) it works great on any
machine with Visual studio installed on it, but when installed on any other
machine it gives me the following error whenever connecting to the database:
"unable to initialize DAO/Jet db engine"

I have spent the entire day on this, but have found no resolution, only half
of an explanation in a KB article. This appears to be a problem with the jet
database engine being used, but i have no idea how to fix it.

PLEASE HELP ME... Time is rather critical!

"Sunny" wrote:

> I'm not completely sure what's going on, but I would try not to expose
> directly the mixed objects. Why don't you try to create a pure managed
> MBR object, which acts like a wrapper arround your mixed mode assembly.
>
> Sunny
>
> In article <C67C0F33-88F2-4D6D-8657-925286577E48@microsoft.com>,
> Michael@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > Hello,
> > I have some strange configuration of dlls and assemblies, which I want to ( Have to) use for a distributed application ( My Job is to glue existents tools together and perform a calculation on a specific machine). All Code is in (M)C++.
> > I use a mixed mode dll as remote object (Client-Activated, SingleCall). I get an Error-Message
> > "Unable to initialize DAO/Jet db engine" when I try to open a DAO-Datatable and use a remote call. Everything works fine, if I open the object directly within an application.
> > According to the "mixed dll loading problem" solution I added already static member functions, but I am not sure when and how to call them. So the failure should be based on the way ma dll is called by ".net.remoting".
> > Could someone give me any hints?
> >

> > My Configuration : MC++ (Gui) Class -> C++WrapperClass -> C++Class in Dll, uses MFC and DAO (given)
> >
> > Best regards
> > Michael

Robert Jordan

Joseph van wrote:

> I am getting the same error:
>
> I have spent the last month or so developing a PointOfSales application
> using a DAO database (created in Access97 format) it works great on any
> machine with Visual studio installed on it, but when installed on any other
> machine it gives me the following error whenever connecting to the database:
> "unable to initialize DAO/Jet db engine"
>
> I have spent the entire day on this, but have found no resolution, only half
> of an explanation in a KB article. This appears to be a problem with the jet
> database engine being used, but i have no idea how to fix it.
>
> PLEASE HELP ME... Time is rather critical!

You must assure that at least MDAC 2.7 and JET 4.0 are
installed on the other machine.

bye
Rob

> "Sunny" wrote:
>

>>I'm not completely sure what's going on, but I would try not to expose
>>directly the mixed objects. Why don't you try to create a pure managed
>>MBR object, which acts like a wrapper arround your mixed mode assembly.
>>
>>Sunny
>>
>>In article <C67C0F33-88F2-4D6D-8657-925286577E48@microsoft.com>,
>>Michael@discussions.microsoft.com says...
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>I have some strange configuration of dlls and assemblies, which I want to ( Have to) use for a distributed application ( My Job is to glue existents tools together and perform a calculation on a specific machine). All Code is in (M)C++.
>>>I use a mixed mode dll as remote object (Client-Activated, SingleCall). I get an Error-Message
>>> "Unable to initialize DAO/Jet db engine" when I try to open a DAO-Datatable and use a remote call. Everything works fine, if I open the object directly within an application.
>>>According to the "mixed dll loading problem" solution I added already static member functions, but I am not sure when and how to call them. So the failure should be based on the way ma dll is called by ".net.remoting".
>>>Could someone give me any hints?
>>>

>>>My Configuration : MC++ (Gui) Class -> C++WrapperClass -> C++Class in Dll, uses MFC and DAO (given)
>>>
>>>Best regards
>>> Michael

Joseph van

where do i get MDAC 2.7 and JET 4.0, Rob? I think I fried my brain working on
this yesterday, are these downloadable from MS?

"Robert Jordan" wrote:

> Joseph van wrote:
>
> > I am getting the same error:
> >
> > I have spent the last month or so developing a PointOfSales application
> > using a DAO database (created in Access97 format) it works great on any
> > machine with Visual studio installed on it, but when installed on any other
> > machine it gives me the following error whenever connecting to the database:
> > "unable to initialize DAO/Jet db engine"
> >
> > I have spent the entire day on this, but have found no resolution, only half
> > of an explanation in a KB article. This appears to be a problem with the jet
> > database engine being used, but i have no idea how to fix it.
> >
> > PLEASE HELP ME... Time is rather critical!
>
> You must assure that at least MDAC 2.7 and JET 4.0 are
> installed on the other machine.
>
> bye
> Rob
>

> > "Sunny" wrote:
> >

> >>I'm not completely sure what's going on, but I would try not to expose
> >>directly the mixed objects. Why don't you try to create a pure managed
> >>MBR object, which acts like a wrapper arround your mixed mode assembly.
> >>
> >>Sunny
> >>
> >>In article <C67C0F33-88F2-4D6D-8657-925286577E48@microsoft.com>,
> >>Michael@discussions.microsoft.com says...

Robert Jordan

Joseph_van wrote:

> where do i get MDAC 2.7 and JET 4.0, Rob? I think I fried my brain working on
> this yesterday, are these downloadable from MS?

Yes.

MDAC

http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/de...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/mdacsdk/htm/dasdk_ov...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&Disp...

JET 4.0

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...

bye
Rob

> "Robert Jordan" wrote:
>

>>Joseph van wrote:
>>

>>>I am getting the same error:
>>>
>>>I have spent the last month or so developing a PointOfSales application
>>>using a DAO database (created in Access97 format) it works great on any
>>>machine with Visual studio installed on it, but when installed on any other
>>>machine it gives me the following error whenever connecting to the database:
>>>"unable to initialize DAO/Jet db engine"
>>>
>>>I have spent the entire day on this, but have found no resolution, only half
>>>of an explanation in a KB article. This appears to be a problem with the jet
>>>database engine being used, but i have no idea how to fix it.
>>>
>>>PLEASE HELP ME... Time is rather critical!
>>
>>You must assure that at least MDAC 2.7 and JET 4.0 are
>>installed on the other machine.
>>
>>bye
>>Rob

Joseph van

Thanks Rob, but after I tried this I still have the same error. (i installed,
then rebooted seperately for these 2 installers)

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joseph

"Robert Jordan" wrote:

> Joseph_van wrote:
>
> > where do i get MDAC 2.7 and JET 4.0, Rob? I think I fried my brain working on
> > this yesterday, are these downloadable from MS?
>
> Yes.
>
> MDAC
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/de...
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/mdacsdk/htm/dasdk_ov...
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&Disp...
>
> JET 4.0
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...
>

> bye
> Rob

> >>You must assure that at least MDAC 2.7 and JET 4.0 are
> >>installed on the other machine.
> >>
> >>bye
> >>Rob

Robert Jordan

Joseph_van wrote:

> Thanks Rob, but after I tried this I still have the same error. (i installed,
> then rebooted seperately for these 2 installers)
>
> Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm clueless. We just deployed a similar .NET application
w/out any problems on Win9x/2k/XP.
The only difference: our *.mbd was created with Access 2000.
Yours is Access97.

bye
Rob