microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Error Message using SN.EXE

Naamat Al-Aswad

I am trying to use the strong name tool SN.EXE on Windows
2003 server as follows:

sn.exe -k outputfile.snk

however I am getting the following error message:

Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Strong Name Utility Version
1.1.4322.573
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights
reserved.

<b>Failed to generate a strong name key pair -- The keyset
is not defined.</b>

Any pointers as to the probable cause of this are greatly
appreciated.

Thanks
4 Answers

xinhuang

That's the NTE_KEYSET_NOT_DEF error. It indicates the CSP may not be set up
correctly. Use of Regsvr32.exe on CSP DLLs (Rsabase.dll or Rsaenh.dll) may
fix the problem, depending on the provider being used.

Or you can try re-installing IE that may solve the problem. (Not sure if
there's an IE setup package for Win 2003, though.)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Xin

Are you secure? Visit http://windowsupdate.mic... to get the latest
critical updates and service packs available for your computer's Windows
operating system.

Naamat Al-Aswad

Thanks for your reply. I have tried the following:

1. Unregister/register the following DLLs (Rsabase.dll,
Rsaenh.dll,softpub.dll, wintrust.dll , initpki.dll ,
dssenh.dll , gpkcsp.dll , sccbase.dll , slbcsp.dll ,
cryptdlg.dll
)

2. Used the File System Checker SFC as follows:

sfc /purgecache
sfc /scannow

However,nothing worked. I still get the same error.

I wanted like to reinstall Internet Explorer but could not
find the IE setup file for Windows Server 2003.

If I do not find a solution soon, I will have to reformat
my hard drive and reinstall the system!!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

confers no rights.

>Are you secure? Visit http://windowsupdate.mic...
to get the latest
>critical updates and service packs available for your
computer's Windows
>operating system.
>
>.

xinhuang

Another possibility: you used "sn -c xxx" to set the default CSP to one
that doesn't exist. Use "sn -c" to reset it back.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Xin

Are you secure? Visit http://windowsupdate.mic... to get the latest
critical updates and service packs available for your computer's Windows
operating system.

Naamat Al-Aswad

I finally got a chance to switch my computer to the
Windows 2003 hard disk!! I have tried the command "sn -c"
and it worked :-)

Thank you very much for your valuable help.

confers no rights.