Remoting using http limited?

Donald Adams

7/21/2004 2:44:00 AM

Does Remoting using http have the IIS send packet limit of 4MB?

Thanks in Advance,
Donald Adams

4 Answers

Sunny

Hmm, never tried. If the object is hosted in IIS, then this limit most
probably will be present.

But, generally this is bad idea to pass 4MB data. As your question is
about http and IIS, I assume that you are preparing something for
internet use. The network can be slow, and from user perspective,
hanging the application for more than 20-30 seconds without any progress
indicator is not acceptable. I would redesign and see if I can separate
the data in smaller chunks, so I can output something.

Sunny

In article <OlC4RysbEHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, BDA_2003@hotmail.com
says...
> Does Remoting using http have the IIS send packet limit of 4MB?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Donald Adams

Allen Anderson

it is my understanding that you will get that limit only if you host
the object in iis. The real question is why are you trying to pass
4mb over the channel in the first place. Maybe you should consider a
different design?

Cheers,
Allen Anderson
http://www.glacialcomp...
mailto: allen@put my website base here.com

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:43:54 +0800, "Donald Adams"
<BDA_2003@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Does Remoting using http have the IIS send packet limit of 4MB?
>
>Thanks in Advance,
>Donald Adams

Donald Adams

The reason is for data transfer. I originally split the data and routed
through a webservice which allowed multi-threading for free (meaning I
didn't have to code it). But my customer asked for larger packets and
faster, so I tried remoting without going through IIS. I went from 1000
rows that took 2.5 seconds through IIS to 16000 rows (57MB) that took 2.9
seconds through remoting. However, my new solution is just single threaded
so I thought I'd ask about the IIS limit. "Hanging" the app. for this
amount of time is not a problem since it runs as a windows service. Using
IIS would also mean the customer wouldn't have to open up other ports.

Thanks for the tcp channel tip, that helped, but now I need to make sure I'm
using the sinkProvider params correctly.

Donald Adams

"Sunny" <sunny@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> Hmm, never tried. If the object is hosted in IIS, then this limit most
> probably will be present.
>
> But, generally this is bad idea to pass 4MB data. As your question is
> about http and IIS, I assume that you are preparing something for
> internet use. The network can be slow, and from user perspective,
> hanging the application for more than 20-30 seconds without any progress
> indicator is not acceptable. I would redesign and see if I can separate
> the data in smaller chunks, so I can output something.
>
> Sunny
>
> In article <OlC4RysbEHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, BDA_2003@hotmail.com
> says...
> > Does Remoting using http have the IIS send packet limit of 4MB?
> >
> > Thanks in Advance,
> > Donald Adams

Sunny

Hi Donald,

Donald Adams wrote:

> The reason is for data transfer. I originally split the data and routed
> through a webservice which allowed multi-threading for free (meaning I
> didn't have to code it). But my customer asked for larger packets and
> faster, so I tried remoting without going through IIS. I went from 1000
> rows that took 2.5 seconds through IIS to 16000 rows (57MB) that took 2.9
> seconds through remoting. However, my new solution is just single
> threaded
> so I thought I'd ask about the IIS limit. "Hanging" the app. for this
> amount of time is not a problem since it runs as a windows service. Using
> IIS would also mean the customer wouldn't have to open up other ports.

I have to mention, that the delay you see using web services is mostly
because of the SOAP formatter used by them. Using IIS as a host for
remoting object, with HTTP channels and binary formatters (my tcp tip will
help as well, to change the default formatters for HTTP) will be enough
fast. And transferring chunks of 3MB will not make any significant delay
because of the new method invocation for the next chunk. So it does not
hurt to see if the limit is there, but even then, passing smaller chunks
will not delay you so much, as the using of HTTP and IIS.

Sunny