Remoting through a firewall

Henke

7/20/2004 10:36:00 PM

Hi

We are building a distributed application where we split the business logic,
data base and the UI (web) on three different machines. Between the web
server and the business logic server there is a firewall. For the moment we
are using web services to get data from the business layer, but we are
thinking of replace that with remoting instead. Will there be a problem
since there is a firewall between the two servers?

Thanks in advance!

/Henke

6 Answers

Santhosh

You can always use remoting over http which should work over a firewall
--
best regards
Santhosh

"Henke" wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are building a distributed application where we split the business logic,
> data base and the UI (web) on three different machines. Between the web
> server and the business logic server there is a firewall. For the moment we
> are using web services to get data from the business layer, but we are
> thinking of replace that with remoting instead. Will there be a problem
> since there is a firewall between the two servers?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> /Henke

Henke

Thanks for your answer!

I've heard that remoting over TCP is faster than HTTP, will it work over TCP
too?
/Henke

"JamesK" <jamesk@pacific.net.au> skrev i meddelandet
> No problem, it will work through firewalls ok. Remember that the clients
> will need the .NET framework on their machine.
>
> with regards
> James
>
> "Henke" <henke_nord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > We are building a distributed application where we split the business
> logic,
> > data base and the UI (web) on three different machines. Between the web
> > server and the business logic server there is a firewall. For the moment
> we
> > are using web services to get data from the business layer, but we are
> > thinking of replace that with remoting instead. Will there be a problem
> > since there is a firewall between the two servers?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > /Henke

Sunny

It should work with a proper configuration of the firewall and your
client and server.

Your firewall have to be setup for port forwarding to the server. And on
the server, use machineName property of the channel and set it to the
external IP of the firewall.

Sunny

In article <eYnTbavbEHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
henke_nord@hotmail.com says...
> Thanks for your answer!
>
> I've heard that remoting over TCP is faster than HTTP, will it work over TCP
> too?
> /Henke
>
> "JamesK" <jamesk@pacific.net.au> skrev i meddelandet
> > No problem, it will work through firewalls ok. Remember that the clients
> > will need the .NET framework on their machine.
> >
> > with regards
> > James
> >
> > "Henke" <henke_nord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > We are building a distributed application where we split the business
> > logic,
> > > data base and the UI (web) on three different machines. Between the web
> > > server and the business logic server there is a firewall. For the moment
> > we
> > > are using web services to get data from the business layer, but we are
> > > thinking of replace that with remoting instead. Will there be a problem
> > > since there is a firewall between the two servers?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> > >
> > > /Henke

JamesK

No problem, it will work through firewalls ok. Remember that the clients
will need the .NET framework on their machine.

with regards
James

"Henke" <henke_nord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> We are building a distributed application where we split the business
logic,
> data base and the UI (web) on three different machines. Between the web
> server and the business logic server there is a firewall. For the moment
we
> are using web services to get data from the business layer, but we are
> thinking of replace that with remoting instead. Will there be a problem
> since there is a firewall between the two servers?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> /Henke

zhenghuan

Does someone has idea on how to fulfill the Network load balancing using .NET Remoting tech.?

Chin Seng

You can always set the port to be used as port 80. That way, it will work
through the firewall. However, both the clients and the servers have to be
set to use port 80 for the particular remoting service.

Regards,
Chin Seng